Question / Help high encoder

Sycogenesis

I read the sticky but the reason why i still made a topic is because it seemed like this was recent and i haven't changed anything all of a sudden i start getting encoder overload error was wondering if anybody could tell me why https://gist.github.com/0c0b57ab2c574fbb5a983f54bfec9a2b. Am i fucked until i get a new cpu or am i missing something because i've turned the games settings down to low and encoder up to super fast and still getting an error. Everything in obs is the lowest possible n im still getting an encoder issue

Last edited:
Your uploaded logfile does not display any recording/streaming attempt...
Can you do a few minutes' worth of recording/streaming (Doing what you would normally do in-game) then stop the recording/streaming session, then upload a current logfile please so I or someone else can further assist in troubleshooting.
Your logfile also states that for Heroes of the Storm you are using memory capture mode (Multi-adapter compatibility mode) which is far slower as a capturing method than direct hooking via Game Capture. Are you not able to use Game Capture?
Also, try running OBS with administrator privileges and in High Priority mode, it may help alleviate performance issues.

Sycogenesis

i'll do another one n let itt run for like 10 mins or so ill be doing it here https://www.twitch.tv/gamingzombieredpanda

this one ran for 10 mins https://gist.github.com/5e53a20b25635ab80c67c6f5ac4ad4a5

I have sinced deleted OBs reinstalled , changed settings to the lowest to the middle ground and highest swaped around everything updated all drivers fresh installs etc etc and still get a encoding overloaded issue, Like for the death of me i don't know whats going on because when i look at vods as far as saturday or last week i'm completely fine https://www.twitch.tv/videos/215148302 and 3 days ago https://www.twitch.tv/videos/214187399 I've been up n down OBS settings haven't changed i never touch them once they work

Last edited:
Your latest uploaded logfile still show you as forcing shared memory, in the options (little cogwheel) of your game capture source for Heroes of the Storm, un-check the 'multi-adapter compatibility mode' option.

You have some rendering and encoding lag:
19:47:36.127: Output 'simple_stream': Number of lagged frames due to rendering lag/stalls: 56 (0.4%)
19:47:36.128: Video stopped, number of skipped frames due to encoding lag: 592/12833 (4.6%)

The rendering lag is most likely caused by your encoding lag issue, which is your CPU not being able to handle the workload of the stream task whilst playing the game.

If you don't already,
Try capping your fps to 60 (61-63 if you have screen-tearing issues)
Try to avoid using V-Sync, as it can induce latency input. Alternatives to V-Sync for frame limiting are MSI AfterBurner or EVGA Precision.
If you do already limit your fps to 60, then you need to dial back some of your in-game settings a tad. Just enough to have no encoding lag in your OBS logfile.
Try running OBS in with administrator privileges and us High Priority mode.

You do however have no network bandwidth issues, so you can probably push your bitrate a bit higher, for a great looking quality stream at 720p30fps try for a minimum of 3500, a good ballpark is 4-5k or higher for fast paced games with lots of effects.

Sycogenesis

Ok, i unchecked compatability mode . i limit my fps to 30 already in every game i can i keep vsync and AA turned off and i completely nuked the games graphic settings before hand i'll try out the new settings tomorrow but long run sounds like i need to upgrade n ty for your help. i also live in a community speed lock so i can only go 30/5 for speeds which is why it's at 2500. one last thing how do i run it in high priority mode

Last edited:

Sycogenesis

im hoping that it's just that game for some reason, Good news is this seems to be game specific

Last edited:
Very sorry for the late reply,

High Priority mode is an option in OBS Setting ---> Advanced---> Process Priority.

From your logfile:
11:37:45.823: Output 'simple_stream': Total frames output: 33737
11:37:45.823: Output 'simple_stream': Total drawn frames: 33779 (33831 attempted)
11:37:45.823: Output 'simple_stream': Number of lagged frames due to rendering lag/stalls: 52 (0.2%)
11:37:45.824: Video stopped, number of skipped frames due to encoding lag: 60/33776 (0.2%)

Your dropped frames are very marginal, which is good news.

If you have the preview pane of OBS turned on, try turning that off as it uses a small amount of resources which might be pushing it over the edge.
If you view your stream live, try minimizing the browser.
Can you try disconnecting your secondary monitor.
Try using superfast preset, or even ultrafast preset. The quality output will degrade somewhat, it will however reduce the strain on your CPU a bit.

Note:
I really think you should be able to run the game at 60fps whilst streaming at 720p60fps with in-game settings high or above, given the hardware you are using.
Not entirely sure as to what is going on. Perhaps look elsewhere for the cause of the issue? Take a look at your CPU and GPU temps plus load whilst gaming and streaming. Maybe a case of thermal throttling slightly? I personally use HWiNFO64 to monitor CPU temps, etc along with MSI Afterburner for GPU temps, etc and have On Screen Display via Riva Tuner Statistics Server (RTSS, coupled with MSI AB installation)

Sycogenesis

I found the issue it's game specific HOTS has a history of doing something to their game during an update that throws the entire game client into whack for some ppl

Well it is good to hear that it is game-specific and your configuration is otherwise fine.

You could try using your GPU (h264 encoder) to record/stream, though quality will not be as good, especially more apparent the lower the bitrate. It might make the difference needed though it will load your GPU more.

I hope you can find a temp fix within the game community for it, or the game devs release a patch to clean up their mess.

One thing I can say is your PC isn't that out-dated, if you have it overclocked to ~4.5GHz it can still perform quite well in comparison to later chips. Sandy Bridge chipsets were amazing for overclocking, I had an i5 2500 non-k and got it to hit 4.3 using BLCK though it ran a bit too hot for the cooler I had and the motherboard VRM wasn't too happy.

Sugimori

I found the issue it's game specific HOTS has a history of doing something to their game during an update that throws the entire game client into whack for some ppl
Hi Sycogenesis, I'm actually having the same issue. Did you find a fix for it, or did you just determine that it was the game issue and are deciding to wait for Blizzard to fix it?

Sycogenesis

Hi Sycogenesis, I'm actually having the same issue. Did you find a fix for it, or did you just determine that it was the game issue and are deciding to wait for Blizzard to fix it?
im still dealing with it but i think it's actually my cpu that is weak because i have been getting it on other games