High CPU usage on a preset that works for my PC but doesnt if I set it wrong....

Abonafide

So I know this title is confusing but Im trying to understand why my pc can run at a slow CPU preset but it cant if I set it wrong, so if I close my obs with the CPU preset set to medium, then I open my OBS with those settings saved, start stream, THEN change my preset to slow my cpu handles it mostly like a champ BUT if I save my settings on slow, close obs, open obs on CPU preset slow my CPU will be at 100% and my stream with lag the entire time. I have an old PC but this seems to be the same case with newer pc's as well.

Here's a log of a successful run of medium then switched to slow https://obsproject.com/logs/26nUjFZIIUe6EdlW

And there's a log file attached to the post when I try to start OBS with the slow settings saved.

I am on the latest version of OBS and I've had this same issue with an older version and so has anyone I've known, Im also using the opencl=true command line as well if this is any relevant. Thank you for reading this.

Attachments

• 2020-06-29 10-31-03.txt
    11.4 KB · Views: 22

qhobbes

1. The version of Windows you are running has a limitation which causes performance issues in hardware accelerated applications (such as games) if multiple monitors with different refresh rates are present. Your system's monitors have 2 different refresh rates, so you are affected by this limitation.

To fix this issue, we recommend updating to the Windows 10 May 2020 Update. Follow these instructions if you're not sure how to update.
2. Run OBS as Admin
3. A slower x264 preset than 'veryfast' is in use. It is recommended to leave this value on veryfast, as there are significant diminishing returns to setting it lower. It can also result in very poor gaming performance on the system if you're not using a 2 PC setup.
OR
Use NVENC for encoder.

Abonafide

1. The version of Windows you are running has a limitation which causes performance issues in hardware accelerated applications (such as games) if multiple monitors with different refresh rates are present. Your system's monitors have 2 different refresh rates, so you are affected by this limitation.

To fix this issue, we recommend updating to the Windows 10 May 2020 Update. Follow these instructions if you're not sure how to update.
2. Run OBS as Admin
3. A slower x264 preset than 'veryfast' is in use. It is recommended to leave this value on veryfast, as there are significant diminishing returns to setting it lower. It can also result in very poor gaming performance on the system if you're not using a 2 PC setup.
OR
Use NVENC for encoder.
Well, I play on console, so I use slow so my FPS games look crisp, I never even imagine trying to play pc games and stream on this rig but I'll try that update.

qhobbes

Upon further review your input is "10:31:08.238: fps: 59.94" and your output is "10:31:04.451: fps: 60/1". Just set your Samsung monitor to 60 Hz.
You may also want to change your common FPS value to 59.94.

Abonafide

Upon further review your input is "10:31:08.238: fps: 59.94" and your output is "10:31:04.451: fps: 60/1". Just set your Samsung monitor to 60 Hz.
You may also want to change your common FPS value to 59.94.
Okay, I'll try that, I'll also try unplugging it tbh, I dont use it while I stream. Thank you very much.

carlmmii

The log files you have attached don't have anything regarding slow preset. Just one that has one recording attempt using medium, and the other does not have a recording attempt.

That said, your CPU cannot do 720p60 at slow. I imagine when you're doing 720p60 you're averaging 90%, as that was what I would get on mine.... but it seems as if you're nearly perfectly stable, so if you're good with that, then stick with it.

Abonafide

The log files you have attached don't have anything regarding slow preset. Just one that has one recording attempt using medium, and the other does not have a recording attempt.

That said, your CPU cannot do 720p60 at slow. I imagine when you're doing 720p60 you're averaging 90%, as that was what I would get on mine.... but it seems as if you're nearly perfectly stable, so if you're good with that, then stick with it.
Yeah, at medium Im pretty solid but there's times where I can pull off slow mode and Im really unsure why, I'll be having slow mode enables (via starting at medium then switching to slow mid stream) but if it doesnt show then I'll get another log file from a stream where I use slow, I just would like to know why my pc can handle it sometimes and sometimes it cannot. I'll post again with the log files maybe later today. Thank you.

qhobbes

2. Run OBS as Admin
3. Your log contains no recording or streaming session. Results of this log analysis are limited. Please post a link to a clean log file.
To make a clean log file, please follow these steps:

1) Restart OBS.
2) Start your stream/recording for about 30 seconds. Make sure you replicate any issues as best you can, which means having any games/apps open and captured, etc.
3) Stop your stream/recording.
4) Select Help > Log Files > Upload Current Log File. Send that link via this troubleshooting tool or whichever support chat you are using.

carlmmii

Correct. All log files with stream entries show using medium preset.

there's times where I can pull off slow mode and Im really unsure why, I'll be having slow mode enables (via starting at medium then switching to slow mid stream)
You cannot change encoding settings mid-stream. If you're somehow getting OBS to have the settings change, then these will not go to the encoder until the stream is stopped and restarted.

relindwto6

I have an HP Elitebook 8460, that OCCASIONALLY shows the video source (Webcam), and various other sources from the Editor view, but upon closing, or changing to the LIVE view, the display turns to black. Would someone be able to direct me to a starting point for troubleshooting?
SHAREit Appvn

Abonafide

Correct. All log files with stream entries show using medium preset.

You cannot change encoding settings mid-stream. If you're somehow getting OBS to have the settings change, then these will not go to the encoder until the stream is stopped and restarted.
Hmm, I didnt know that, I figured it would change since Im able to change it mid stream.