Question / Help Help with streaming Ps4 Remote play to Macbook Pro

Hi,

So i stream PS4, recently i have tried to upgrade the stream by running my ps4 remote play through my macbook pro - then using obs window capture, i'd stream to twitch. this allows me to change scenes etc, which can add a bit of comedy and class to my streams instead of it just being me and a game.

i have pretty fast internet 30mb/s Down & 12mb/s Up
my macbook can handle ps4 remote play. Its pretty much perfect on the highest settings, no lag, no glitching.

trying obs open on its own it is smooth, i have a webcam and with chroma key set up and that is always totally fine. fps only really reaches 20 tops (but i thought this was due to my settings - i have been endlessly fiddling with them to try get the best stream output)

BUT - when i run them together, it all goes to shit. when i do, OBS doesn't run incredibly slow but the ps4 remote play starts lagging hard and skipping to a point where its unplayable. then, trying to stream it, the quality & fps drops to pretty much a slide show.

I have tried running remote play through 540p settings and lower & there is an improvement on fps, but not huge & the quality of the gameplay is really poor (i have facecam and that works perfectly on stream, no lag or quality issues) - i also used obs autowizard to try get the best settings to stream, but it doesnt seem to do a lot.

My macbook is kind of old now, but it runs PS, after effects & Illustrator relatively well, like i said, remote play works fine with it.

---- MY QUESTION IS ---- is my macbook pro just too old a crappy now? to stream in this way would i have to invest in a streaming pc/laptop? i'd like my stream to be high quality but through OBS so i can add a bit more entertainment to my stream.

is this not how does NickMercs does it? he streams ps4 but its perfect quality

Thankyou for reading, i know its long.
Any Assistance would be very appreciated!

Narcogen

Window capture in general is the worst performing capture method. Display capture should work a bit better.

You're also asking whether or not your MacBook can handle the load, but you provided no information about it, so that's really difficult to answer.

i thought for display capture i would need another monitor to run its smoothly?

what sort of info do you need?

late 2008 macbook pro

2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB

ok thank you! dw about the log files, its pretty clear that its my macbook that is the problem, but at least now i know. i'll just have to save up and invest! any suggestions on an affordable option?

Narcogen

Look for a used or refurb 2015 MacBook Pro (one *without* a touch bar). That's going to give you the most bang for your buck in recent era MBPs.

RhettRob

I have a 2015 macbook but my PS4 remote play doesn't show up in window or display capture. It only shows up in media source as "PS4 Remote Play (null)" please reply asap. thanks.