Help with PPT question

jlmunizzz

Is it possible to add a PowerPoint file into OBS that is operated from a separate computer?
Context: we livestream our church services using OBS. We have a second computer that projects our songs onto a screen at the front of the room for those in attendance. For those watching at home, we've simply filmed the screen, but its not very professional looking. Is there a way to "feed" this same PowerPoint into OBS in realtime, as its projected on the screen? (Controlled by the separate computer?)

FerretBomb

You might be able to use the obs-ndi plugin and the Newtek NDI capture application (on the PPT-running machine) to send that presentation screen to the OBS machine over the network. It DOES use a lot of network bandwidth, but if it's over a gigabit LAN shouldn't be an issue.
Alternately, you could use an HDMI splitter (assuming the projector connects via HDMI) and a capture card on the OBS machine. Generally for gaming purposes good capture devices/cards can be pretty expensive, but for your purpose where the capture delay isn't going to be as much of an issue, one of the cheap chineseum AliExpress grade units could work fine.

Here's one on eBay for seven bucks: https://www.ebay.com/itm/293623608685

RedFish

YES. I have the same situation and was able to capture it by installing OBS-NDI on the projector with the power point presentation. then on the computer I am streaming installed OBS-NDI and then was able to set it up as a NDI source.

jlmunizzz

YES. I have the same situation and was able to capture it by installing OBS-NDI on the projector with the power point presentation. then on the computer I am streaming installed OBS-NDI and then was able to set it up as a NDI source.
Do you experience any lag on the machines or on the stream? I'm assuming you're streaming a church service as well?

LeighG

sorry missed the last part of you message. Yes we are streaming church services...
Hi RedFish, I'm running a similar system but haven't got it to work like you have. 2 x PC's. One running ppt which needs to send presenter mode to data projector and other monitors (currently using VGA splitter). The other PC is running OBS, recording and streaming. I've connected the 2 x PC's via a network hub and got NDI on both. The OBS PC can see the Ppt but only if it's in the Browsed by Individual mode, rather than Presenter mode. And then it's not displaying properly on the projector etc. Can you describe in more detail your setup so I can see what I might be missing?