Question / Help Help With debugging NDI from Mac to Streaming PC

JoeMoCode

Hey All,

I've been a bit stuck on this. I have started using the NDI plugin for OBS (https://github.com/Palakis/obs-ndi/releases/tag/4.7.1). I have a Mac Laptop and a streaming windows 10 PC. For the hardware side, I am using an ethernet between my laptop and PC using an Apple ethernet adapter.

On the streaming PC, I have been able to successfully use NDI with Skype. However, No matter which program I use on the mac to send NDI (OBS or ScanConverter from NewTek) I can see and detect the NDI streams on my PC, but OBS is not displaying anything and I see just a black screen.

OBS Logs
Stream PC Log: https://obsproject.com/logs/F9oe9CmtUPkpFHsR
Mac Log: https://obsproject.com/logs/2bHR3FuoErm2flnP

Only odd thing I see in the logs is there is a python failure on Mac OBS boot. Im not sure this is relevant, but I did a fresh install of OBS and still see it.

Any ideas why this is only not showing the NDI Stream output from my Mac despite being noticed on the stream PC?

JoeMoCode

Slight update on this. I cannot view the output (but again, can detect sources) using the demo of NDI telestrator too. And when I try the opposite and view NDI sources on my mac from my PC instance, it detects the sources but also does not show video. It seems like I might have some sort of network issues on the mac side. I have tried to turn off the windows firewall with no success.

Does anyone know what the Ethernet connection network settings should be?

R1CH

Forum Admin
Developer
If you're not using a router you'll need to configure the devices with static addresses in the same subnet.

JoeMoCode

Thanks R1CH. That sounds correct based on my troubleshooting...I do detect the source, just cannot get audio or video. I tried setting a static IP for the mac ethernet, but it is not clear what I need to do to have NDI communicate over that.

How would I do this?

R1CH

Forum Admin
Developer
NDI discovery and connection is automatic - it uses broadcast packets to locate devices and then establishes a direct connection based on the discovered IPs. If the network and firewalls are configured correctly, no further configuration should be necessary.

JoeMoCode

Okay, I have tried to do this. I set mac and windows ethernet connections to static IPs in the same namespace. I forced OBS in the Mac to use the ethernet connection (IPV4). I forced the windows side to be a private network. I still recognize the source in stream machine's OBS and do not see any audio or visual output on the stream machine. I tried different network settings.

The closest guide I could find is this thread https://obsproject.com/forum/threads/obs-ndi-plugin-problem.81049/

Any tips on the firewall settings? I've tried turning off windows firewall, but it seems to make no difference.

JoeMoCode

Okay I figured out by issues. I needed to get a switch which vastly simplified the setup. Then I had to turn off energy-efficient-ethernet for the ethernet thunderbolt port on the mac. Works great showing NDI streams both directions after that.

Thiago Marques

Okay I figured out by issues. I needed to get a switch which vastly simplified the setup. Then I had to turn off energy-efficient-ethernet for the ethernet thunderbolt port on the mac. Works great showing NDI streams both directions after that.
Hello joe! Im having the same problem. I use a macbook pro retina OS HIGH SIERRA and i5 OS windows 10. What is that switch you used?Sorry about my bad english.

idlegod

New here, but this also solved my issue. I had a Cisco Meraki w/ a fiber connection to my core switch. Turned out the Meraki must have been blocking something. The dumber the switch, the more likely it will work. Connected my Windows PC to my Unifi core switch, as well as my macbook, and it all works now. Just figured I would report in that this solved my problem with Skype showing a black screen.

Interestingly, the video would start if I restarted OBS while on a call, which was obviously not a solution, but adding new people or starting a call never worked, despite seeing the sources. Just black video/audio. NDI cam even worked from my iphone. So I really have no idea what was up with the other switch.

Soxieboy

I was using a PC for streaming my PTZ NDI PoE cameras, and everything works ok in the PC.
I switched to iMac and the NDI Source just show a black frame, the image doesn’t show up.

I think we are talking about the same problem here.
I saw your solution about putting your devices in other switch, but I don’t think that’s the real problem, I need my cameras connected to our main switch so we need to figure out what the problem is with Mac’s only.

if someone have found the real problem let us know.