Question / Help Help setting up stream

Poonhub

I’ve tried steaming multiple times but my gameplay would just appear laggy and stutter. I have a mid tier PC i5-4690k, 16gb ram and a GTX 2060, just wondering if it is my PC that’s the issue or my settings maybe. I’m a complete noob with OBS so just looking for some tips and help thanks.

FerretBomb

That would likely be the settings, your hardware is more than capable. Just go to the Tools menu, Auto-Configuration wizard to get good baseline settings. Make sure you're using the NVENC encoder.

Also, make sure to run OBS as Administrator; this will allow it to take priority on GPU time, and help guarantee that its housekeeping tasks get done on time (if they don't, you'll get render delayed frames).
Also, if you're using multiple monitors, make sure they're all running at the same refresh rate; there's a long-standing Windows bug that causes problems when running two or more monitors not at the same refresh.

If you're still having problems after that, post a logfile from a live streaming session at least 30 seconds in length, as it asks when you open a new thread in the support section. We'll be able to offer more insight based on that. There's a pinned topic with instructions on how to do so.

Poonhub

That would likely be the settings, your hardware is more than capable. Just go to the Tools menu, Auto-Configuration wizard to get good baseline settings. Make sure you're using the NVENC encoder.

Also, make sure to run OBS as Administrator; this will allow it to take priority on GPU time, and help guarantee that its housekeeping tasks get done on time (if they don't, you'll get render delayed frames).
Also, if you're using multiple monitors, make sure they're all running at the same refresh rate; there's a long-standing Windows bug that causes problems when running two or more monitors not at the same refresh.

If you're still having problems after that, post a logfile from a live streaming session at least 30 seconds in length, as it asks when you open a new thread in the support section. We'll be able to offer more insight based on that. There's a pinned topic with instructions on how to do so.

thank you for the quick reply! I’ll check it out in a bit, the only issue I see right now is the monitor situation. I play competitive games where I need the 144hz on my main monitor but my second monitor is just on 60hz. What should I do about this? No way to get past this?

FerretBomb

thank you for the quick reply! I’ll check it out in a bit, the only issue I see right now is the monitor situation. I play competitive games where I need the 144hz on my main monitor but my second monitor is just on 60hz. What should I do about this? No way to get past this?
No way to get past this until the Win10 2004 patch rolls out, no. It IS available on the Windows Insider Slow Ring release at present, but that tends to be less-advised due to stability and compatibility issues.
You could always buy a second 144hz monitor if it's actually needed.

On a side note, regardless of which option you choose, for streaming purposes it'd be a good idea to run at 120hz instead of 144; 120 divides down evenly into 60 and 30fps, which will give even frame pacing, as opposed to 144 that will have to skip an erratic number of frames each time.