Question / Help Help determining what to change for better Stream FPS

My Mac is 2015 MacBook Pro 13" i5 2.7ghz with 16gbRam. Running Latest version of Sierra 10.12.5.
OBS 20.0.1

I stream iPad gaming via X-mirage

Streams are passable but clearly not where I think it should be. When I open up the STATS window I don't like what I am seeing and think my laptop should be capable of better performance

Placing the X-mirage mirror on my laptop desktop ( not streaming ) and I see the following in the STATS window

My FPS shows up as around 17
around 50ms to render a frame
around 25% missing frames due to rendering lag
ZERO skipped frames on encoding lag.

My current settings in OBS are attached as images.
My scenes are very simple... I am capturing the laptop DISPLAY and I have an overlay, Facecam and a FreeType text.

Shouldn't I be able to obtain a smooth 30fps stream with this laptop or am I asking too much of it?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-10-12 at 4.46.57 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-10-12 at 4.46.57 PM.png
    46.7 KB · Views: 70
  • Screen Shot 2017-10-12 at 4.47.44 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-10-12 at 4.47.44 PM.png
    30.8 KB · Views: 64
Weird thing is I have streamed with OBS and this same Laptop in the past with far better results. That was an older Mac OS and a previous version of OBS though.. has something changed in OBS that is more demanding possibly?

Fenrir

Forum Admin
17:14:03.946: Output 'simple_stream': Number of lagged frames due to rendering lag/stalls: 2840 (47.6%)

Your laptop can't handle rendering a scene at 720p30fps with everything else going on. You will have to either reduce the load on your GPU before OBS is brought in (i.e. if you're playing games, turn setting down and cap FPS in the games), try removing some of those color correction filters (the GPU processes those), and as a last resort, you'll need to lower the output resolution in OBS itself.

I see why you are saying this based on the LOG.. however, I am able to stream at a smooth FPS using MOBCRUSH'S Streaming app and also with MIMOLIVE. It's odd that OBS, which was always reliable when I used it in the past, all of the sudden doesn't work well.

Fenrir

Forum Admin
I'm not familiar with either of those, but I'm willing to bet they're not rendering a scene (the output) on the GPU.

Nothing has changed that could affect performance that dramatically in OBS.

I deleted all my scenes and rebuilt... I knew something was wrong because I have used OBS in the past. Not really sure what was going on but the rebuild seems to have eliminated my issues.

p.s. it would be nice to have a FULL RESET button added to the OBS settings for such instances where someone wants to start from absolute scratch on ALL settings. Unless I missed it... I am almost 50 ;)

Fenrir

Forum Admin
You can just delete the current profile and scene collection to "reset" OBS, from their respective menus in the main OBS window.

Jeramie

I deleted all my scenes and rebuilt... I knew something was wrong because I have used OBS in the past. Not really sure what was going on but the rebuild seems to have eliminated my issues.

p.s. it would be nice to have a FULL RESET button added to the OBS settings for such instances where someone wants to start from absolute scratch on ALL settings. Unless I missed it... I am almost 50 ;)

How did you do this? I am having the same issue and I have tried everything. How do I uninstall or just reset everything?

Narcogen

Profile > Remove

Scene Collection > Remove

Repeat as needed until all profiles and scene collections gone.

Interesting discovery.. my issues emerged again for some reason but I discovered the quick fix is to turn off the PREVIEW within OBS. Now I am running at a smooth 30fps and it stays there for the entire stream. I just monitor the stream on restream.io to make sure it's still looking good.