Question / Help Help a noob with OBS lag?

GalactiCow

As the title says. OBS was working fine until a few weeks ago, when recordings would be very choppy while recording Overwatch gameplay. To my knowledge, nothing had changed on my computer between the time OBS was working and when it wasn't. I'm pretty new to OBS and recording in general, so I'm not sure what else to post here. If you need PC specs, recording files, or any other information, please let me know and I'll try to get back to you as soon as I can. Thanks!

https://obsproject.com/logs/cLIw3Wzz6tNjvV4X

Narcogen

You need to do an output session and then upload a log. Your log contains only startup information, no streaming/recording session.

That said, you appear to have display and game capture sources in the same scene, which you shouldn't since that degrades performance. Keep them in separate scenes, or better yet, separate scene collections. Just hiding the source doesn't stop it from using resources, it just hides the display.

GalactiCow

You need to do an output session and then upload a log. Your log contains only startup information, no streaming/recording session.

That said, you appear to have display and game capture sources in the same scene, which you shouldn't since that degrades performance. Keep them in separate scenes, or better yet, separate scene collections. Just hiding the source doesn't stop it from using resources, it just hides the display.

Sorry if this is a really obvious question, but what do you mean by output session? If you mean recording, I had just pushed "stop recording" when I went to "upload last log file". Is there something I did wrong there, or something additional I should do?

Here's the output for "upload current log file", if that helps any :
https://obsproject.com/logs/ij8BFCFbDDDjiEHI

Also, thanks for the advice with display/game captures. I've made the switch, but it doesn't look like that's made a big difference. I'll keep it that way just in case :)

Narcogen

You are massively overloading your GPU:

17:24:07.209: Output 'adv_file_output': Number of lagged frames due to rendering lag/stalls: 19046 (63.5%)

You need to limit framerate in-game to give OBS GPU resources to use to do its job.

Also, if you're recording for editing later there is really no good reason to use CBR control with the NVENC encoder. You're just wasting disk space on scenes that don't need it by insisting on always using the same amount of data for every frame. Use CQP instead.

GalactiCow

You are massively overloading your GPU:

17:24:07.209: Output 'adv_file_output': Number of lagged frames due to rendering lag/stalls: 19046 (63.5%)

You need to limit framerate in-game to give OBS GPU resources to use to do its job.

Also, if you're recording for editing later there is really no good reason to use CBR control with the NVENC encoder. You're just wasting disk space on scenes that don't need it by insisting on always using the same amount of data for every frame. Use CQP instead.

Thanks for your help mate! It's worlds better now. Thanks for putting up with a newbie like me :)