Question / Help HDR for Streaming from Capture Card

jrose54

The latest thing I saw was updated in 4/2019 but I was wanting to find out if anything changed with this. I currently have an Avermedia GC553 Live Gamer Ultra and it allows 4k HDR 60fps pass through. Problem is when I stream with HDR in OBS. the picture is grey and/or washed out. I tried out applying LUT with 2 different versions but it didn't help. It either made colors too dark and too bright or the colors were still off. Right now my only options are to turn of HDR or stream with ReCentral instead of OBS, which I don't want to do because ReCentral is no where no near as feature rich as OBS. So is there plans for OBS to support HDR or is there a plug in that would help me out? I saw Elgato has software to work with a plugin for OBS to allow me to play in HDR but converts it to SDR for streaming. Thanks!

JohnnyDi

The latest thing I saw was updated in 4/2019 but I was wanting to find out if anything changed with this. I currently have an Avermedia GC553 Live Gamer Ultra and it allows 4k HDR 60fps pass through. Problem is when I stream with HDR in OBS. the picture is grey and/or washed out. I tried out applying LUT with 2 different versions but it didn't help. It either made colors too dark and too bright or the colors were still off. Right now my only options are to turn of HDR or stream with ReCentral instead of OBS, which I don't want to do because ReCentral is no where no near as feature rich as OBS. So is there plans for OBS to support HDR or is there a plug in that would help me out? I saw Elgato has software to work with a plugin for OBS to allow me to play in HDR but converts it to SDR for streaming. Thanks!
I have the same AverMedia capture card! And posted a video recently, explaining how to stream HDR games through OBS. I's all about perfect tonemapping. But you should repeat the steps for each game. Result is amazing.
https://youtu.be/BZ5G6DLSc_U

Marusame00

I have the same AverMedia capture card! And posted a video recently, explaining how to stream HDR games through OBS. I's all about perfect tonemapping. But you should repeat the steps for each game. Result is amazing.
https://youtu.be/BZ5G6DLSc_U
seems my google/bing searches keep coming back to these pages when trying to find out about how to record hdr in obs... unfortunately that video above is set to private and I have no idea who made the video or if another one exists that can explain how to do it.

ButterMaster101

seems my google/bing searches keep coming back to these pages when trying to find out about how to record hdr in obs... unfortunately that video above is set to private and I have no idea who made the video or if another one exists that can explain how to do it.
I would like for someone to explain how to do this as well. Currently can't fix this without having Avermedia's software open at all times and display capturing it into OBS Studio, quite annoying to do and would love a way around this.

FerretBomb

The solution is simple. OBS flat-out does not support HDR.
I believe it is on the feature-request list, but it has no roadmap estimate.

You will need to either disable it and just use SDR, or use a workaround like ButterMaster101 is doing and window capture the AM capture software's window. As an added note, if you are doing this and your computer display is also set to use HDR, you will still get color-skew in OBS. OBS does not support HDR at all.