HDMI splitters

smashprod

My cameraman uses a Canon DSLR camera where, when the HDMI output is enabled, the viewfinder shuts off (Canon 6D Mark II). I am wondering if I can use an HDMI splitter before my capture card (Magewell HDMI/USB C) so I can run the second HDMI output to a video monitor? Will a splitter degrade the signal? Will it add more latency? Which one should I buy?

Jannick

from a quick google search about hdmi splitter

The Verdict. HDMI uses a digital signal, so even if you're using splitters or switchers, it shouldn't affect the quality. If it does, then you're using a bad switch or splitter device. Any signal loss from such devices can be attributed to either a faulty connection or a poorly made device.

twindux

I use an Elgato HD60 S+ that includes a built in splitter. HDMI goes in, USB goes out to the computer....and there's an HDMI output. I use it to our in-Church monitors, but it could go to any HDMI device.

I tried using my Camlink 4K with an HDMI splitter and no love...not sure where the fault was, though, as I discovered the splittter capability of the HD60 S+