Question / Help hardware encoder by Uraycoder

Narcogen

It depends what you mean by "works with OBS". That device takes HDMI input, so if you send your Program output to a display and plug the HDMI output of that display into this input, that should work. In that case you'd be using OBS as a switcher/compositor and this device as the stream encoder.

KGInkling

It depends what you mean by "works with OBS". That device takes HDMI input, so if you send your Program output to a display and plug the HDMI output of that display into this input, that should work. In that case you'd be using OBS as a switcher/compositor and this device as the stream encoder.
that's exactly what I wanted to know if I could still use obs for overlays but use this to release stress from my Mac how would I setup for a live stream

Narcogen

It will remove the encoding load from your Mac. If the problem you have using OBS on your Mac isn't encoding load, but rendering load, this would NOT help.

Presumably that device comes with instructions on how to use it, that's pretty much out of scope for what I could talk about w/r/t OBS.

Narcogen

It doesn't need setup in OBS. You send OBS output to a video port, and you plug that video port into the HDMI input on the device. You won't be using OBS to encode, you'll be using this device and whatever software comes with it instead.

KGInkling

It doesn't need setup in OBS. You send OBS output to a video port, and you plug that video port into the HDMI input on the device. You won't be using OBS to encode, you'll be using this device and whatever software comes with it instead.
I connect a hdmi cable from the computer to the encoder input? how would I just put it to see the camera and not observe itself

Narcogen

You will need a computer with a GPU that has at least two outputs.

The first one, connect to your monitor as usual.

The second, connect to the capture device.

In OBS, go into Studio mode, right click the Program monitor (the one on the right side) and open a Projector. From the pull-down menu, choose to send the output of that projector to the HDMI port that is plugged into the Uray.

If your program has audio, then you'll also need to set audio monitoring to go to that HDMI port (assuming your GPU supports this feature, otherwise you've got another issue). Also in this configuration, you may get audio desync, as OBS is not expecting this kind of configuration, and its audio monitoring is input monitoring, not output monitoring.

Bottom line: OBS is not intended for use with external encoders. You can use them, but there are issues that will mean you won't necessarily be able to use OBS in the way you would think, and there are technical limitations that may cause certain problems (like audio desync).

OBS does not have a simple option that says "use this hardware encoder I have plugged in, but otherwise behave as normal". If you want to use a hardware encoder with OBS that has high performance and convenience, currently the best available for the price is an Nvidia 1660 card, but you would only be able to use that in Windows, not in MacOS.

KGInkling

You will need a computer with a GPU that has at least two outputs.

The first one, connect to your monitor as usual.

The second, connect to the capture device.

In OBS, go into Studio mode, right click the Program monitor (the one on the right side) and open a Projector. From the pull-down menu, choose to send the output of that projector to the HDMI port that is plugged into the Uray.

If your program has audio, then you'll also need to set audio monitoring to go to that HDMI port (assuming your GPU supports this feature, otherwise you've got another issue). Also in this configuration, you may get audio desync, as OBS is not expecting this kind of configuration, and its audio monitoring is input monitoring, not output monitoring.

Bottom line: OBS is not intended for use with external encoders. You can use them, but there are issues that will mean you won't necessarily be able to use OBS in the way you would think, and there are technical limitations that may cause certain problems (like audio desync).

OBS does not have a simple option that says "use this hardware encoder I have plugged in, but otherwise behave as normal". If you want to use a hardware encoder with OBS that has high performance and convenience, currently the best available for the price is an Nvidia 1660 card, but you would only be able to use that in Windows, not in MacOS.
the issue is i don’t use a monitor we use the computer and we don’t have money to buy more things i thought it would have be just connecting the encoder to the camera and send it to obs with a cable

Narcogen

You can connect that encoder to the camera, but then OBS is not involved at all. You configure the encoder to stream content directly to a streaming provider, and you don't use OBS. OBS is not designed to use external encoders that aren't in desktop or laptop GPUs.

Wally44

I don't believe that is true regarding an external encoder and OBS. I'm using an IP camera just fine with OBS. I believe that the output of this encoder will simply look like another IP camera to OBS. It would be an addition source to OBS to switch between while you are streaming with OBS. Should work fine. I have one of these units and will give this a test.

Tangential

I have a similar encoder. To use it as a source to OBS you access it as a VLC source (RTSP) It works, but with about a 4-6 second delay. I bought mine to do the encoding out since it does 2 destinations and at the time I was stuck with only an ATEM Studio to do production. Today, I would buy the newer versions of this that are H.265 and do SRT. That is a nice way to bring video feeds in.

shennyp

I don't believe that is true regarding an external encoder and OBS. I'm using an IP camera just fine with OBS. I believe that the output of this encoder will simply look like another IP camera to OBS. It would be an addition source to OBS to switch between while you are streaming with OBS. Should work fine. I have one of these units and will give this a test.

Looks like this is the solution original poster was looking for. Every one else was seems to provide solutions what I felt the answer the poster was not looking for.
So my question is if I want to use this device as a video sender to an OBS desktop so I can mix another IP stream from another camera , what exact settings I have to make so OBS can be used as a switcher plus a streaming encoder.

Wally44

I'm trying to get this to work, but not successful so far. It streams fine to VLC and I can stream my other camera to VLC in the same way. But so far it doesn't show up in OBS.

Wally44

I figured this out. The easiest way is to use the VLC Video source, activate feed in the URayCoder and open the approriate URL in vlc to view it in OBS.

shennyp

We tried to add the Uraycoder as a Videosource in OBS and chose smtp stream from encoder. It seems to work OK but by any chance a break in wifi or network to Uraycoder even after its restored it will not activate in OBS. Trying to figure out if this an issue with OBS or the Uraycoder. Have not tried the VLC Source yet

Tangential

You'll probably be happier with it as a VLC source. You can mark a VLC source to loop. So if you only have 1 URL entry and it messes up, it should basically loop to restart a session on that same URL. If your UrayCoder supports SRT, that is what I would try to use rather than RTMP. You should get a lot less lag with SRT.

RSSCommentary

I bought one of these URayCoder H.265 machines used on Amazon and I've been playing with it. This device has potential for rackmount system where an ATEM Mini isn't appropriate because it has an image noise filter that makes cheap webcams look a lot better resulting in smaller H.265 files. This unit can output 4 different encoded streams, so one can H.264 for YouTube and Facebook, one can be H.265 for that 10-bit color with small file sizes, and you can use one more in low-res mode for sending video to people on live chat, then you can use some Raspberry Pi running nginx to round incoming RTMP feeds in via HDMI. It is possible to use the Raspberry Pi as an emergency backup computer with Arducam to add a high quality uncompressed 4K camera via the Pi's HDMI ports.

The URayCoder just isn't designed for this, it's more like a HDMI over RTMP for cameras and TVs that are always on. It is really easy to hack via their web interface using a React.JS Browser extension and cross-platform headless app for Linux, Windows, Android, iOS, etc. I started an open-source project yesterday for this called KobsCommander on Github at https://github.com/KabukiStarship/KobsCommander and I'm could use some help documenting requirements. Thanks.