Handling Framerates above your Encoder Settings (144Hz game to 30/60FPS video)

jtr

With streamers diving more into high refresh rate gaming (i.e. 144hz, 240hz) streaming at 30/60 FPS is still desirable for your general audience. While gaming, things may look fantastic, but what the viewers see might look worse than when you were on 60Hz.

From what I've been researching, it appears that if you're not hitting a multiple of your framerate (60/120/180 FPS), the stream can look choppy/stuttery due to the capturing methods of OBS (Game/Window) dropping the extra frames. While the easy solution is to either lock framerate at 60 or meet multiple, I'm wondering if there's a possibility of a middle-ground that OBS can provide.

A suggestion is to have an option for Game Capture to blend frames instead of dropping them when capturing above the encoding framerate. While this will include the faults that typical motion blur has, there are some games and mediums that handle it better. I believe there's also to be some expected performance impact from interpolating between two frames, but not aware of the scale of it.

I'm also curious to know if anyone else has other implementation ideas, or have capturing techniques to overcome this issue.