H265 hardware encoding?

MarsConcert

I've been using NVENC hardware encoding. The GPU load has always been around 10% for 1920x1080 @ ~60fps. Couldn't all this excess GPU time be used to encode in H265? The resulting H264 files are pretty big for what they are. I'm not livestreaming - just capturing from a USB card. I can select NVENC but I can't choose any encoding options that I am aware of.

NVidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti

The nVidia site says it can handle h265: https://developer.nvidia.com/video-encode-decode-gpu-support-matrix#Encoder

MarsConcert

Yep, works great too. Take a look at this thread.

That guys configuration screens look different than mine?
I don't see any GUI option for x265. Is it done via the Video Encoder Settings field?
OBS-1.png

OBS-2.png

OBS-3.png

OBS-4.png

MarsConcert

That worked. Thanks.

Now if I could only get the sound to sync. Starts off synced sometimes, but ends up really unsynced. Sometimes it starts totally unsynced. It's not consistent. Also I get audio crackles depending on whether I select monitor with DirectX or WaveOut. It seems to be related to checking on/off buffering.

qhobbes

Mismatched sample rates can cause the sound to get out of sync (audio drift). Below is an example of mismatched sample rates from the Log Analyzer:
At least one of your audio devices has a sample rate that doesn't match the rest. This can result in audio drift over time or sound distortion. Check your audio devices in Windows settings (both Playback and Recording) and ensure the Default Format (under Advanced) is consistent. 48000 Hz is recommended.
OBS Sample Rate: 48000 Hz
Speakers (5- USB Audio Device): 48000 Hz
Microphone (Yeti Stereo Microphone): 44100 Hz

MarsConcert

Mismatched sample rates can cause the sound to get out of sync (audio drift). Below is an example of mismatched sample rates from the Log Analyzer:
At least one of your audio devices has a sample rate that doesn't match the rest. This can result in audio drift over time or sound distortion. Check your audio devices in Windows settings (both Playback and Recording) and ensure the Default Format (under Advanced) is consistent. 48000 Hz is recommended.
OBS Sample Rate: 48000 Hz
Speakers (5- USB Audio Device): 48000 Hz
Microphone (Yeti Stereo Microphone): 44100 Hz

I figured it out and it works perfectly now. It wasn't the sampling rate. Under Settings -> Audio -> Global Audio Devices, I needed to assigned the USB 3.0 capture device to the mapping "Mic/Aux Audio". Then, I have only the Mic/Aux source providing audio under the Audio Mixer Panel. For some reason, if audio is obtained from Audio Mixer -> Video Capture Device, it encounters all variations of audio problems (stuttering, unsynced audio, audio that drifts from synchronization).