Question / Help Great fps but stream looks very choppy always.

problemsxd

I feel like I've tried everything inside and outside of obs to try and fix this. My fps is great but it looks incredibly choppy on stream. I have a 240hz monitor and when i turn it down to 144hz it seems to help a little bit but i want to play with 240hz. I just gave up and used the auto-configuration again and that is what the log is from.

edit: also see that my ram is locked at 7.1gb usage while streaming. I have 30gb usable.

Attachments

• 2018-09-30 03-02-30.txt
    10.7 KB · Views: 41

koala

In your log are 2 streaming attempts. According to the log, they should be perfect. There are no lagged or lost frames, and no network problems.

How did you check how your stream look like? Did your viewers report that your stream is choppy, or did you verify this yourself? If you view your stream live on the same PC while you're streaming it, your stream may appear choppy indeed, but it is only a display issue on your PC. If you want to verify live how your stream looks like, you should do this from a different machine.
However, if you download a vod of your stream later and this is choppy as well, then it is something to look into.

problemsxd

You're right it is definitely different looking at the vod while not streaming. But this is streaming at 60fps and still looks very choppy. Heres the log for that and the vod so you can see for yourself.
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/316651578 (mute sound lol)

Attachments

• 2018-09-30 04-57-26.txt
    27 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

koala

The video is definitely choppy/has missing frames. It may render at 60fps, but it doesn't really contain a new frame every 1/60 second. From stepping through the frames, I estimate a frame loss of 20-30%.
The log states no such loss, in fact it says the stream is perfect.

If you single-step frames through your vod, you see that some frames are duplicated. This is the sign of lost frames. It seems as OBS wasn't able to capture each frame the game generated but output the previous one instead. This does not seem to have the same origin as the ordinary lagged frames on the GPU. First, OBS has to grab a frame, then it composites the video to output in a hidden frame buffer, then it outputs the hidden frame buffer for encoding and streaming. We have log entries for losing frames during compositing and for losing frames during encoding, and you have none. I don't know the inner workings of OBS' game capture, so I don't know if this first step we don't get log output really exists.
Sorry, but I cannot help you from here. More in-depth development-like analysis is required.

I propose you limit your game to 60 fps as a test, despite your desire to run it at 144 or even 240 fps. If the problem goes away, you are facing a bottleneck somewhere due to the high frame rate of your game, despite the log entries that usually point to this kind of problem are missing.