GPU Usage

zenoah

Hi,

Can somebody explain why the following can/can't be implemented please.

OBS I always presumed is primarily for capturing game footage. If it is, why is the encoding/processing being done on the GPU?

Why would you want 50% of your GPU being used to capture the game that then can't perform at its maximum rate because OBS is consuming half the workload?

Whats odd is you have the CPU core pretty much idle during encode. Most games I play utilise very little CPU time when running.

So the question is - would it be possible for OBS to have an option/switch to allow just the CPU cores for encoding? Obviously QuickSync could also be used to help the CPU if necessary as from what I can tell doesn't effect the main GPU.

Thanks,
Anthony

jTactics

yes i agree its insane, I tried to stream myself DJing and I couldn't on my macbook. We are talking just getting a video cam on my turntables with my dj software running which is less CPU then a lot of games, and it made my laptop over 100%. OBS showed 140%!! The music was cracking, as this software is now, its sort of useless. Guess back to PC.

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
OBS I always presumed is primarily for capturing game footage.
This is incorrect. Capturing games is one thing that OBS can do, but it's only one thing. OBS is a general-purpose livestreaming and video production program.

OBS does not encode on the GPU unless you set it to use a GPU-based hardware encoder (which, at the time of this writing, is not yet supported on OBS Multiplatform). However, OBS does all of its rendering on the GPU, because that's what GPUs are for: rendering graphics. Encoding via x264 is done on the CPU.

Generally speaking, I don't recommend using a computer with a dual-core CPU for streaming. Also, Window Capture on OS X is known to have a lot of performance issues due to the way Apple's API works, so I recommend Display capture over it instead.