Good settings for Streaming on Twitch/Recording Videos in 1080p with 1440p Monitor

MatttLife

Hey there OBS Community!

I really really need your help! I've tried every possible settings for streaming and recording videos but nothing helps. I was guessing it had to do with the fact that i play games in 1440p and record in 1080... but even if i play with the resolutions it doesnt work. I can record League of Legends videos but as soon as i start recording any FPS game it just freezes. With streaming nothing seemed to work and everything lagged like hell. I have a RTX 2070, Ryzen 7 and 16gb ddr4 ram. I tried multiple twitch servers, settings on OBS, tried playing with resolutions and bitrates but nothing seems to work. My Internet connection is really stable with over 300 mps download and 250 mps upload. I live in the Netherlands. Im really out of option. Nothing wrong with my pc, Internet. So i guess it has to do with the OBS settings... but what!
Thank you for reading my thread already and also for helping! I really need it because i start to think getting a pc of 1800 euro was not enough! :(

Log File V
https://obsproject.com/logs/s318ZCMdVYcIFEWq

Thanks again!
Matthias

Suslik V

Make Duplicate of current Scene Collection (main menu) and start to remove one source by one until rendering lag is resolved.

This is huge numbers:
15:15:34.234: ┣tick_sources: min=0.003 ms, median=0.507 ms, max=2385.14 ms, 99th percentile=161.456 ms

MatttLife

Make Duplicate of current Scene Collection (main menu) and start to remove one source by one until rendering lag is resolved.

This is huge numbers:
I really appreciate you helping me out! But im new to OBS and i have still no clue what to do. Could you explain it to me differently?
Thank you soo much already!

Suslik V

1. Main menu Scene Collection
  2. Click option Duplicate
  3. Enter new name for the collection (like: test_freezes_free )
  4. In the menu Scene Collection new scene collection named test_freezes_free will appear (now it has check mark that it is selected)
  5. In your scene named "Scène" you have 5 sources - remove the:
  6. "Window Capture 2"
  7. Try make new recording. Check the result, if still freezing, then remove:
  8. "Game Capture"
  9. Try make new recording. Check the result, if still freezing, then remove:
  10. "Window Capture"
  11. Try make new recording. Check the result, if still freezing, then remove:
  12. "Video Capture Device"
  13. Try make new recording. Check the result, if still freezing, then remove:
  14. "Image"
  15. Now you have empty scene. Try make new recording. Check the result.

Any changes? When it stopped freezing for you? Please, post a log when all is OK.

Info: Duplicate of Scene Collection just simplifies process of testing, because you don't need to create the test scene from the scratch every time.

MatttLife

1. Main menu Scene Collection
  2. Click option Duplicate
  3. Enter new name for the collection (like: test_freezes_free )
  4. In the menu Scene Collection new scene collection named test_freezes_free will appear (now it has check mark that it is selected)
  5. In your scene named "Scène" you have 5 sources - remove the:
  6. "Window Capture 2"
  7. Try make new recording. Check the result, if still freezing, then remove:
  8. "Game Capture"
  9. Try make new recording. Check the result, if still freezing, then remove:
  10. "Window Capture"
  11. Try make new recording. Check the result, if still freezing, then remove:
  12. "Video Capture Device"
  13. Try make new recording. Check the result, if still freezing, then remove:
  14. "Image"
  15. Now you have empty scene. Try make new recording. Check the result.

Any changes? When it stopped freezing for you? Please, post a log when all is OK.

Info: Duplicate of Scene Collection just simplifies process of testing, because you don't need to create the test scene from the scratch every time.
Hey! I tried everything you said. It wouldnt work. I removed everything till i was left with recording the game only in 1440p. Only thing that helped it was recording in 1080p on 30 fps. It still was not good. But it lagged a bit less. But my pc should be able to stream in 60fps easily right? Is there anything else i can try?
Almost like OBS hates me or anything xD

Suslik V

It is not full log-file.

Also, you need to use one application, to test with. Because FortniteClient-Win64-Shipping.exe uses d3d11 share and League of Legends.exe uses d3d9 share, when the encoder ([jim-nvenc]) intensively uses one of the similar techniques itself.

MatttLife

It is not full log-file.

Also, you need to use one application, to test with. Because FortniteClient-Win64-Shipping.exe uses d3d11 share and League of Legends.exe uses d3d9 share, when the encoder ([jim-nvenc]) intensively uses one of the similar techniques itself.
Alright. Which one do you recommend me using? For me it doesnt matter. But I can record league in 1440p decently, but when i record fortnite i can only even try in 1080p and that doesnt even seem to be enough. Obviously i want to be able to record both. Fortnite is the best for getting the most difficult to work? Is it okay to do that then? I used Fortnite now. Recordings work. Only problem is that i need to have my monitor in 1080p 60hz instead of the 1440p in 144hz. But running the game on 1440p but record in 1080p is too much for OBS. Thats what i want to work obviously :) Thanks for the help again!
This should be the whole log file.
https://obsproject.com/logs/1zbv1zyBVLUeatN6

Last edited:

Suslik V

No, it is not. No profile data in the end of the log. The profile measurement quoted few posts above has abnormally high values for source's cycle - I never seen this behavior before with obs. Because you trying to record demanding game and it running at very high fps - it is hard to say what to change in your setup to resolve the lag. I wrote step by step and you was unable to follow these steps. So, either try to change encoder to x264 software and try again (to see if rendering lag disappear and tick_sources will be significantly reduced) or limit rendering fps of the captured source (game).

MatttLife

No, it is not. No profile data in the end of the log. The profile measurement quoted few posts above has abnormally high values for source's cycle - I never seen this behavior before with obs. Because you trying to record demanding game and it running at very high fps - it is hard to say what to change in your setup to resolve the lag. I wrote step by step and you was unable to follow these steps. So, either try to change encoder to x264 software and try again (to see if rendering lag disappear and tick_sources will be significantly reduced) or limit rendering fps of the captured source (game).
It's really weird its not the whole log file. All i do is copy the current log file. Nothing more or less. I deleted and downloaded OBS again. Just to make sure there werent some files missing or so. I have the settings the same again. I can record but only in really messy situations it still laggs and something to include is that some windows arent showing because the different resolution of the game and my monitor. Hopefully now this is the whole log file. I dont know how else to get it.
https://obsproject.com/logs/Io9spk_fZoI755aa