Good settings for recording Guide/tutorial videos.

ShadowNinja

I'm wanting to get into recording guide/tutorial videos to start with.

I'm using a work laptop hooked up to a 1080P monitor.
Specs of laptop are:
8th Gen Intel® Core i5-8350U
20Gb Ram
120GB Storage - will use external hdd that's 3.0 if suitable
Intel UHD Graphics 620
logitech 4k webcam - plan to get a elgato cam link and elgato wave 3 mic

Just wondering what the best settings might be to use with OBS and this specs to do these types of recordings. I will record the screen with my face in corner. With mic on cam to start with - ways to minimise background noise like mechanical keyboard etc? Any pointers?

FerretBomb

In OBS, go to the Tools menu, Auto-Configuration Wizard. Set it to optimize for Recording.

That said, I'd be somewhat concerned about that laptop; it's a U-variant CPU, which are the ultra-low-power model optimized for battery savings... they don't really handle computationally-heavy tasks well.
Recording to a USB drive is not recommended due to the overhead and delay inherent with USB... it can very easily cause problems.
That Intel iGPU may also pose a problem as iGPUs use system RAM rather than the faster, dedicated VRAM that a discrete GPU tends to have. VRAM speed is critical for OBS in many cases, as slow population can lead to missed rendering/compositing tasks and skipped frames as a result.

You may run into issues. Rather than buying a 4K webcam and a camlink (why?) and a Wave mic, I'd consider looking into picking up an older desktop system on the cheap. Something with an nVidia 10-series GPU (1050, 1070, 1080) at least, and a proper desktop-grade i5 or i7.

ShadowNinja

ok so even just recording this laptop would not handle it well? I was told for recording OBS isn't that resource intensive if not doing streaming.
I forgot to mention I also have a Razor Blade laptop I use for my gaming but I was hoping just for recording the work one would be enough as I don't want to stream.

I was thinking of getting the cam link so i could use my 4k camcorder instead of the 4k brio webcam as I've heard a webcam will never be as good as a camcorder/dslr. I do photography as a freelancer so have that equipment also so thought this way could utilise it for another task.

Razer specs.
1596972177113.png