Question / Help Good PC, choppy recordings. No frame drops (1920x1080@60fps)

dUtchhii_

https://obsproject.com/logs/ItfAJcOifPgloX0K - My log file.

My build:
Intel® Core™ i5-9600KF - 6 Cores
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4-3000 Dual channel
SSD
Windows 10 Home
Asus TUF B360M-Plus Gaming Motherboard
NVIDIA GTX 1660 Super 6GB
No overclocks.

I tried alot of different encoder settings but I cant seem to figure out why it is so choppy. I have Windows game mode ON, no useless applications running in the background as far as I know. The loads of my CPU and GPU are also far from maxed out.

I am trying to capture some screen footage but I noticed this same problem when I ran the gamecapture plugins on OBS.

PLS HALP

Attachments

• SETTINGAS.png
    SETTINGAS.png
    36.7 KB · Views: 12

FerretBomb

16:07:59.843: output 0: pos={0, 0}, size={1920, 1080}, attached=true, refresh=144, name=32G1WG4
16:07:59.843: output 1: pos={1920, 6}, size={1920, 1080}, attached=true, refresh=50, name=ZOWIE RL LCD
You may be running into the disparate-refresh bug. It's a long-standing bug in Windows that if ALL monitors attached are not running at the same refresh rate, it can cause severe stutter in hardware-accelerated applications. You'll have to run your 144hz monitor at 50hz to fix that. There's an OS-level fix coming later this or next year in the Win10 2004 update.

Your recording attempts don't show any other issues, aside from recording to mp4 directly, which you should NEVER DO FOR ANY REASON. MP4 is not a recording-safe format, and can cause significant problems. Why it pops up an orange warning message when you switch to it from the default. Swap back to MKV or FLV, and remux the resulting files to mp4 if you need them for editing from the OBS File menu, Remux Recordings.
Beyond that, no encoding lag or render delay. So chances are good it's the mixed refresh rate bug above.

dUtchhii_

You may be running into the disparate-refresh bug. It's a long-standing bug in Windows that if ALL monitors attached are not running at the same refresh rate, it can cause severe stutter in hardware-accelerated applications. You'll have to run your 144hz monitor at 50hz to fix that. There's an OS-level fix coming later this or next year in the Win10 2004 update.

Your recording attempts don't show any other issues, aside from recording to mp4 directly, which you should NEVER DO FOR ANY REASON. MP4 is not a recording-safe format, and can cause significant problems. Why it pops up an orange warning message when you switch to it from the default. Swap back to MKV or FLV, and remux the resulting files to mp4 if you need them for editing from the OBS File menu, Remux Recordings.
Beyond that, no encoding lag or render delay. So chances are good it's the mixed refresh rate bug above.

This seems logical. Never thought about this concept. I have one 144hz and one 60hz monitor, I should try it without the 60hz then. Thanks

FerretBomb

Omg you fixed it
In the log, your other monitor is running at 50hz, not 60.
But glad to hear that fixed it! You'll be able to use both monitors at separate refresh rates again after the Win10 2004 update, but it's uncertain when that will be releasing. You can actually get it right now if you're on the Windows Insider Slow Ring rollout, but that's generally not advised unless you're a technical user and OK with small bugs. Have a good one!

Electrocudead

In the log, your other monitor is running at 50hz, not 60.
But glad to hear that fixed it! You'll be able to use both monitors at separate refresh rates again after the Win10 2004 update, but it's uncertain when that will be releasing. You can actually get it right now if you're on the Windows Insider Slow Ring rollout, but that's generally not advised unless you're a technical user and OK with small bugs. Have a good one!

Just chiming in that the 2004 update still shows a release date of may 28. So barring any setbacks from c19, relief is coming shortly.