Question / Help .gif files in OBS

DeadPlanet

With the 'regular' version of OBS (on win7*64) I used to use a .gif to display info on my stream You can see it in action here;
https://youtu.be/HfuCfAnw3PY (bottom right corner)

I don't know CSS, and plan to look into that soon(ish) but for the time being, I'd love to be able to keep using the animated gif I made.

The 'regular' version of OBS had some limitations when it came to displaying .gifs, like not too high a framerate, and not longer then 5 mins, I found this out through trial and error. (This gif is at the limits of both, 15fps, 5 mins long).

Are the limitations stricter in OBS Multiplatform? Does it even support animated gifs? I can spend another weekend experimenting and whatnot, but this way (simply asking here) might save me a boatload of time.

Gol D. Ace

The Image Soruce itself doesn't support gifs but the Media Source does through ffmpeg.

So basically check the ffmpeg limitations.

Can't tell you more than that sorry.

DeadPlanet

Yeah, I have been using the Media Source, or tried to use it for the gif. d;
But I just had an idea, maybe I can re-render the file as a video file, with no audio, and use that.
I still have all the after effects files.
I am a video editor, so that why I chose to make that overlay element as a video project in the first place.
Use what you know, right?
Thanks anyway! Knowing gifs are unsupported will save me some time.
Any possible tips on a preferred codec/container I should use?

Gol D. Ace

Thanks anyway! Knowing gifs are unsupported will save me some time.

The Media Source should/does support .gif files. You just have to check the Loop option.
31 MB one with 1260x850 didn't cause any issues. (Gif of the recording that I linked here.)
http://i.imgur.com/6yipU2U.gifv

But yes converting your single images into for example an mp4 file with h264 video would also work.

DeadPlanet

I got it to work!
That gif has a black background, which I chromakeyed out, that made it completely invisible.
After I switched to colour key, and set the gif to loop and forced a format conversion, it did the trick.
I just had to put more effort into getting it working. When I installed OBS studio, I was in a hurry

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    16 KB · Views: 3,710

DeadPlanet

So, I did some updating today, now the banner is no longer a gif, but an avi file.
Why the update? gif dithering.
That always bothered me.
Hurray for OBS Studio!

Also, on the subject of gifs, why does a gif have a volume slider/controls in the mixer?
I have never heard of an animated gif containing audio. d;

Banyarola

So, I did some updating today, now the banner is no longer a gif, but an avi file.
Why the update? gif dithering.
That always bothered me.
Hurray for OBS Studio!

Also, on the subject of gifs, why does a gif have a volume slider/controls in the mixer?
I have never heard of an animated gif containing audio. d;

Because the GIF is being added as a Media Source and Media Sources usually have audio..