Getting the most out of your webcam

FerretBomb

Muf, quick question. Between MJPEG and I420, which is preferable if both are available? I'm having trouble finding any real information about the differences in handling.

Muf

Forum Moderator
FerretBomb said:
Muf, quick question. Between MJPEG and I420, which is preferable if both are available? I'm having trouble finding any real information about the differences in handling.
I420 is higher quality, and MJPEG requires less bandwidth. If you select I420, you may be limited in resolution and/or frame rate.

Bombolero

nice guide, but is there anything I can do if all the sliders on "camera control" are greyed out?
I'm using the built in webcam of my Dell Inspiron 14Z.

Reliever

This is a life saver! Thank you so much, my 50 euros webcam no longer works like PoS :D. I can't thank you enough!

Muf

Forum Moderator
Bombolero said:
nice guide, but is there anything I can do if all the sliders on "camera control" are greyed out?
I'm using the built in webcam of my Dell Inspiron 14Z.
Maybe see if there are alternative/older/newer drivers that do expose the camera controls. Otherwise, you're pretty much out of luck.

James Hartig

For some reason I kept getting the updated drivers in Windows 8.1. I deleted the folder: C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\lifecam.inf_amd64_12dab9f0ca8fd2a9 (just searched for lifecam.inf in Windows folder) and then uninstalled the device via Device Manager. Then after unplugging and plugging in the camera, it kept the older drivers (with MJPEG).