Question / Help Gaming Headset Microphone Issue

kingjavo

So I'm trying to use my gaming headset as a mic and to listen to the PC desktop (whether it be a game or just desktop sound). I have my headset plugged into the mic (red jack) and sound (green jack) on my PC's sound blaster card.

The problem I'm having is the mic is being captured on the Desktop Audio sound mixer channel for some reason. The mic sound is captured fin in the Mic/Aux mixer, but I don't know how to stop the Desktop Audio from capturing my mic sound.

1548641463018.png

The mic and playback are both using my "Sound Blaster Audigy FX" card, obviously, so I have the playback and recording set to Sound Blaster in my Sound settings on my PC Windows 10 machine.

1548641583513.png

Anyone know how I can record my desktop audio without mic sound and use my gaming headset for mic input and to listen to desktop?

koala

In the properties of your Speakers (in the Windows Sound dialog you posted) there should be a "Levels" Tab where you can set the output level of associated devices. The mic should be also there. Set it to off.
It's a Windows function to echo the mic to the output. It's a bit confusing - the mic appears in 2 places: first, in the Recording tab where you configure the recording level (how loud the mic will record). The other is in the Playback tab of the playback device that is associated to the mic, where you configure the playback level that echos the mic to the speaker for user feedback. It's the latter you should turn off.

kingjavo

Thanks for the reply. Although, I'm not seeing any mic levels inside the Speakers > Properties > Levels tab though. Just "Speakers/Headphone"...

1548693574412.png

Narcogen

If there is no option to turn off Game Mode you need to update Windows. Instructions are in the signature below.

kingjavo

I updated the registry per that link and I believe I'm no longer recording mic sound in the OBS Desktop Audio source! Thanks for the help guys!

1548694379944.png

kingjavo

Ok so it seems to work when I plug my mic in the back of the pc, but when I switched to the front jacks, the issue is back. I restarted OBS several times and triple checked the settings to point to my Sound Blaster speaker and mic.

kingjavo

The only way it works is if I change the Mix/Aux > Audio Monitoring drop down value to Monitor Off. Wonder why that needs to be the case?

1548695195597.png

Narcogen

You can't capture from a device and then send your monitoring of a device to that device, no, you'll get echo. If all your audio input was from external sources (microphone, capture card, usb audio interface) then you could set OBS to send monitor audio to your system default and listen; this would be a scenario where you're not recording or streaming any Windows audio on the machine you're recording on.

If you need to capture some audio from the default output, but want to hear things that aren't going to be recorded or streamed (like monitor output, or music you want to listen to that you don't want in the stream) then you need a way of creating at least one virtual audio device. That way you can send OBS monitor output to that virtual device, and link that to your headphones without recording that output in OBS.

Voicemeeter Banana is one way of doing this.

https://www.vb-audio.com/Voicemeeter/banana.htm

https://obsproject.com/forum/resour...nagement-for-1-and-2-pc-streaming-setups.397/

The short version of this is that Voicemeeter replaces your windows system audio mixer. You tell Windows to use one voicemeeter input as your default, and you tell OBS to send its monitor output to the other. You then tell Voicemeeter to send both of those channels to your headphones.

OBS will only record default system audio, and you will hear OBS monitoring in your headset, but won't record it.

koala

I will never give any audio advice again. Please remind me about this post, should I ever forget about that.