Question / Help Games lag after opening OBS since recent windows 10 update

Jed05

I'm having issues with a couple of games lagging while OBS is open after a recent Windows 10 update.

Here is my log: https://gist.github.com/c4fd8f5b34aa74b402c989c59ec13c24

Specifically, Enter the Gungeon has issues with lagging with OBS open and showing it, no matter which form of game capture I use. OBS doesn't drop frames, just the game itself starts to run really choppy. Tabbing out and closing OBS fixes it. This happens regardless of if I'm capturing or just have OBS open.

This has happened to a couple of other games, but is consistant in Enter the Gungeon. EtG also received an update so it could be on either end, especailly considering I noticed EtG is taking 1.5gb of RAM which seems like a lot for such a simple game. (I have 32GB of RAM and I'm not bottlenecking anywhere as far as I can tell)

Update: Tested with and w/o cheat hook, and monitor capture and get the same results. If i just force myself through the lag eventually my monitors will flash black for a second, then it will work fine for a few minutes before lagging again. Here is the log from this test.

Update 2: Just having OBS running with NO captures at all seems okay, but even with a fresh set of scenes and just running monitor capture causes the lag.

Last edited:

Jed05

Update 4: Even after closing OBS and a game, it will continue to run poorly until my system is rebooted. Games run completely fine till OBS is started with some function of capturing them on, then the frame rate starts to shutter to unplayable levels, no matter what.

Jed05

Final Update: Looks like monitor capture make the games run fine. I only realized this because I did a reboot and tried monitor capture, so Windows changed something in build 14295 that interferes with OBS' game capturing stuff and then makes games run like garbage until a reboot. I'll just use monitor capture for the time being till either OBS or Windows pushes out an update.

rathrills

hello, any updates on this thread? seems like this issue still persist today 2020 any people happened to bump on this and found resolution? hope you could share. many thanks