Question / Help Games are a Slideshow when Capturing

MadVaper

I tried streaming today, and every game that I tried to play was a slideshow. I'm talking 1 frame every 3 seconds. I tried Devil May Cry 4, CS:GO, Bioshock Infinite, and Dishonored. As far as I can tell, it's every game. I don't even need to be streaming, just have OBS open and capturing.

I reinstalled OBS, deleting all my scenes, and created a single scene with only Game Capture. I've looked over my settings, tried turning off Anti-Cheat Compatibility Hook. I ran MalwareBytes just in case and it came up with nothing. I made sure my video drivers are up to date too. The next step is formatting my PC, because I can't figure it out. Absolutely nothing has changed since yesterday when it was working fine. Obviously, I've tried just plain rebooting as well.

As soon as I close OBS, all games run perfectly. It's only an issue when OBS is open.

https://gist.github.com/adb6acfbabd49423d462

Please help!

MadVaper

Any ideas? Some other things I should probably mention:

This happens when trying screen capture instead of game capture too.

I had a problem like this in the past, and the issue was Rivatuner and trying to display an FPS counter with MSI Afterburner. Both have been uninstalled for awhile now. But this issue makes me think that something else is trying to hook the game.

After reinstalling OBS, I deleted all my scenes and created a new one with Game Capture only. So the problem persists even when the only thing I have going is a single Game Capture source.

I'm using Windows 10. Last week it updated and changed a bunch of my settings in Nvidia Control Panel. I put everything back to where they should be, and it's been working fine up until last night. I also checked the Xbox app Game DVR, just to make sure that Windows 10 didn't automatically turn it back on. It is off.

Both the game and the OBS preview are choppy. It's not just OBS capturing a choppy game, because my webcam and moving items on my overlay are also choppy.

I was able to Alt+Tab out and in of DMC4 and the choppiness stopped, but it introduced microstutter. Alt+Tabbing out of any other game doesn't change anything and it's still choppy.

I've been keeping an eye on temperatures, and everything is normal.

Please let me know if anyone has any ideas. I'm going to try a few things when I get home:

Completely reinstall OBS Multiplatform.

Uninstall Multiplatform and try regular OBS.

Restore from a System Image, but that's going to put Windows 7 back on my machine.

Harold

I made sure my video drivers are up to date too.
Not necessarily best with the way nvidia has had its drivers behaving recently.

Your log doesn't show the full attempt of the capture.

MadVaper

I'll try to stream for 5 minutes or so later tonight and upload that log. Anything look out of place on the log that is uploaded?

Also, "up-to-date" means the most recent driver that was released on December 21. I'm assuming it's not the driver since everything's been fine for a month up until yesterday.

Harold

The log is still missing the necessary information from the session that is needed to check things.

MadVaper

Then I have no idea what the problem was. I used a fresh install, set all the options, and started streaming Bioshock Infinite. I realized I didn't have a game capture so I stopped the stream and closed the game, added game capture, then started again. Then i waited a few minutes, closed the game, and stopped the stream. There were only 2 log files, and the one I uploaded was the one using game capture.

Maybe the fact that part of the log file is missing could be a red flag.

Anyway, I restored from a system image and it's working again. Still highly annoying and I'm curious as to what was going on, but thanks for responding anyway.