Question / Help Game Capture - Syphon - not showing on macOS Sierra

Chris Larkin

Hi -

I'm trying to get my green screen fun going and for some reason I don't have the game capture option talked about in multiple tutorials. I want to be able to replace my background via OBS then use CamTwist to send the video to Zoom for my weekly Wednesday 90 minute video calls @ work.

Help! :-)

Thanks for reading -
Chris

Narcogen

If you're using Mojave or higher, my understanding is that Syphon is currently broken. I did read something recently that a version that works with Metal is being worked on, but no information on an ETA.

Most tutorials when they mention "game mode" mean game capture on Windows. Syphon is the Mac equivalent, but it is not the same, and I believe in 10.14 and above currently does not work.

HDL

Syphon works fine on Sierra. On Mojave you can get it working again if you disable System Integrity Protection. It's generally not recommended, but that's a workaround if you absolutely need Syphon. I have Mojave and can confirm it works.

Edit: Just realized you mentioned CamTwist. This app does not send video to anything that cannot receive QuickTime or Syphon input.

Last edited: