Question / Help FYI: Hauppauge USB-Live 2 and OBS - WinTV needed

jfoust

On a fresh Dell Win 10 Home 1803 machine using a Hauppauge USB-Live 2, I was having trouble with OBS in that no video was shown or captured, although audio was there.

In OBS, when I added the video capture device, no red-outline rectangle would appear - it was minimized to a little red dot/square in the upper left. If I tried to click on it, it would disappear, although I could use the menus to expand it (to seem) to fill the window. But it was always black, no video.

It was puzzling because the Hauppauge Capture program worked fine. Also, I'd just tested the same digitizer on a Win 7 Pro system with OBS, and it had worked. I'd even moved the same global.ini and profile over to the new Dell.

After debugging a bit... On the new machine, I'd only installed the Hauppauge Capture tool (ex. "hauppaugecapture_1_1_37142.exe"). It worked on its own and could preview and capture video and audio.

I found that I needed to install the WinTV tuner program (ex. "wintv85setup_37122.exe") on the Win 10 machine. Once I did that, OBS video preview and capture worked.

On the Win 7 machine, I'd installed the WinTV tuner program, concluded it wasn't useful with a device that wasn't a tuner, thought they'd included a generic installation sheet for both tuners and digitizers in the box, so I un-installed WinTV, and everything kept working.

And similarly, once it was working, I could un-install WinTV on the Win 10 computer, and OBS and video preview/capture kept working.