Bug Report Fullscreen Preview not working with spaces off

cedricromain

Hi there,
I have a very specific request; I use OBS in a live production environment to stream the content of our main output on stage, which has a very unconventional aspect ratio, to get the main information to another screen which is set to 16:9 to send the content to a live production switcher. That has been working fine for about three years now until the last time I've wiped the VTR Mac.
For that I setup my scene in OBS and then use the "Fullscreen Preview" function in the context menu which now, no matter what I try, can not get into its previous behaviour again. I've tried running the setup on High Sierra, Sierra and now El Capitan which I still prefer (and was installed previously) and different versions of OBS. Every time I open the function the preview shows up on the bottom left of the OS X primary display in its resolution (I can see the desktop on the top and right since the iMac's resolution is higher than both other outputs). The only thing that seems to make it work is enabling Spaces in the System Settings under Mission Control (Requires relogin). Sadly since we mainly use a different software during the show the OS X bar then overlays on the output which looks silly. Sadly automatically hiding the top bar does not work either and OBS starts showing the fullscreen preview on the main output again.
This is a very strange bug and I hope there is any way this could be fixed.
Thank you very much

Narcogen

Does the same behavior happen if you open a windowed preview and click the fullscreen widget? Just curious.

cedricromain

No the windowed preview is working fine and I can freely move it around and fullscreen on a display when I have spaces enabled. I should have mentioned is our current backup solution to the problem. Sadly this is a lot more prone to errors as we have to move the cursor onto the proper screen (where its then displayed) to change the space because we use different software to display different content, this also requires us to automatically hide the system bar which is annoying because its also hidden on the main output including the clock and relevant program information.

Narcogen

I wish I had a more helpful suggestion, but I only have 1080p displays and for me the Fullscreen Preview function works as expected, whether Spaces is on or off, so I'm unable to observe this behavior in order to think of some way of addressing it.

wa2flq

I have a similar problem that I solved by toggling Spaces. I am using a RTSP URL and a PTZoptics 20X-SDI-G2 under High Sierra with OBS 20.0.3 and after the initial and pretty basic setup the preview and recording works fine. Closed the app and when I next opened OBS, no preview. Stats shows rendering and for recording encoding, but the recording was blank. Reboots or removing the "obs-studio" preferences would fix it temporarily. With seperate Spaces "OFF" it seems to be okay, but its only been a few hours.