Question / Help Framedrops/skipping/stuttering with Vsync (not OBS specific)

Reyde Viscerous

Preface: This happens with GameDVR as well so it's not an OBS thing, but not sure where else to find help on this

I'm getting pretty bad stuttering if I try to capture any game while using Vsync. This is already obvious in the preview window before I even start recording or streaming, but obviously it shows up in the recordings as well. If I do decide to record, all of the stuttering is there despite having no rendering or encoding lag in the logs (or something small like 0.X%). Naturally the game runs 100% smooth, no drops no skips.

Capturing with a 60 fps cap but no Vsync works fine, but obviously it'll tear like crazy for me.

Here's what it looks like. I also included the log that goes with this footage but I think you'll agree this is not what 0.6% dropped frames looks like.

I have tried:
  • Running only one monitor
  • Disabling the preview window in OBS
  • Game capture
  • Monitor capture
  • Window capture
  • Using CRU to force my main monitor to display 60 Hz instead of 59.95
  • Disabling all overlays
  • Disabling game mode
  • Disabling game DVR
  • Different resolutions
  • Completely clean scene collection
  • Default Nvidia control panel settings
  • Changing power management profiles
  • Using the HPET timer
  • Disabling dynamic tick
  • Ensuring DPC latency is low
  • Disabling the IGP
  • About 20 different Windows builds over the course of a year or so (I've been having this issue since forever)

Attachments

• 2020-05-07 01-51-58.txt
    12.8 KB · Views: 15

vapeahoy

I'm getting pretty bad stuttering if I try to capture any game while using Vsync.
About 20 different Windows builds over the course of a year or so (I've been having this issue since forever)

01:51:58.499: Running as administrator: false
01:51:58.499: Windows 10 Gaming Features:
01:51:58.499: Game Bar: On
01:51:58.499: Game DVR: On
01:51:58.499: Game DVR Background Recording: Off
01:51:58.499: Game Mode: Off
01:51:59.472: video settings reset:
01:51:59.472: base resolution: 2560x1440
01:51:59.472: output resolution: 2560x1440
01:51:59.472: downscale filter: Lanczos
01:52:01.763: psycho_aq: true

few things to fix and test here. resolution is quite optimistic. Doable but.

Reyde Viscerous

01:51:58.499: Running as administrator: false
01:51:58.499: Windows 10 Gaming Features:
01:51:58.499: Game Bar: On
01:51:58.499: Game DVR: On
01:51:58.499: Game DVR Background Recording: Off
01:51:58.499: Game Mode: Off
01:51:59.472: video settings reset:
01:51:59.472: base resolution: 2560x1440
01:51:59.472: output resolution: 2560x1440
01:51:59.472: downscale filter: Lanczos
01:52:01.763: psycho_aq: true

few things to fix and test here. resolution is quite optimistic. Doable but.
Obviously if you've read the rest of my post I've already tried all of that and it's not related to recording either. I just reverted to my defaults for this test, but the results are the same.

Reyde Viscerous

We can only work with the logs you provide.
Not sure if you're being facetious or not, but I already pointed out that the stuttering never reflects in the logs, the only difference would be the settings I changed. I included a log in the off-chance that someone sees any software/hardware incompatibilities. The problem seems to lie somewhere in the DXGI/hooking part and I don't know what's messing with it.

vapeahoy

This is not a you dictate how to get help and you know best what the cause is, as you are the one with the problem. Either you want to get help, or you don't. Try and cough up a bit more mature follow up in the future.

Have you considered not using a windows insider preview and that this would have some impact?

Reyde Viscerous

Have you considered not using a windows insider preview and that this would have some impact?
Sure thing, it's listed in the opening post:
  • About 20 different Windows builds over the course of a year or so (I've been having this issue since forever)
Incidentally, the build I'm running will be heading into the GA stage soon, not that it matters in this case.

Last edited:

vapeahoy

And did you at least save one of the log files from one of those 20 windows installations where you had used settings that are supposed to be good? The video just shows seemingly not enough time being given to encoder. If frame drops are evenly distributed it will have about the same effect. Tho vsyncing is best done with all monitors at same resolution.