Question / Help Frame drop issues what settings should I change?

yash_1o1

Facing a lot of frames drops as well as quality drop when I replay my recordings. I tried to keep my obs and task manager open while recording and monitor my CPU and GPU load and they were well within the range. I guess I am doing something wrong with the settings

Attachments

• 2020-04-30 00-11-15.txt
    11.2 KB · Views: 17

BionicClick

you have an error in your log file, perhaps that is it? (first line)

02:18:03.961: [game-capture: 'Game Capture'] error acquiring, scale is bad
02:18:03.961: [game-capture: 'Game Capture'] capture stopped
02:18:05.679: [game-capture: 'Game Capture'] attempting to hook process: RocketLeague.exe
02:18:05.693: [game-capture: 'Game Capture'] d3d11 shared texture capture successful
02:18:05.694: [game-capture: 'Game Capture'] shared texture capture successful
02:18:15.994: [game-capture: 'Game Capture'] capture stopped
02:18:21.027: [game-capture: 'Game Capture'] attempting to hook fullscreen process: explorer.exe
02:18:21.027: [game-capture: 'Game Capture'] cannot capture explorer.exe due to being blacklisted
02:18:24.044: [game-capture: 'Game Capture'] attempting to hook fullscreen process: explorer.exe
02:18:24.044: [game-capture: 'Game Capture'] cannot capture explorer.exe due to being blacklisted
02:18:26.061: [game-capture: 'Game Capture'] attempting to hook process: RocketLeague.exe
02:18:26.072: [game-capture: 'Game Capture'] d3d11 shared texture capture successful
02:18:26.077: [game-capture: 'Game Capture'] shared texture capture successful

carlmmii

Switch off of Max Quality in your encoder settins. This forces 2-pass, which requires CUDA resources and is causing encoding lag.

yash_1o1

Switch off of Max Quality in your encoder settins. This forces 2-pass, which requires CUDA resources and is causing encoding lag.
I'll try to put it down to quality and get back to you.
I don't understand why isn't this fps drop shown by the obs while live recording my game, also isn't my 2080 good enough to support this cuda resources demanded by obs which you're talking about?

carlmmii

Open the stats window. It is shown in realtime.

For CUDA, it's not a matter of being powerful enough. It absolutely is. The problem is in how the resources are being allocated. If the only thing your GPU had to do was run OBS, then more than likely you would have absolutely no issue. However, you have this gigantic resource hog called a game that is fighting with OBS for all the resources it thinks are top priority.

Best analogy I can give is you have an entire table set with food. OBS is sitting at the table with his own plate of food (imagine this as the nvenc encoder). As long as all it needs is what's on its plate, then everything should run fine. But as soon as you need something that hasn't been already put on the plate, then you have to compete with everyone else at the table for dibs. Some games aren't greedy... others are gluttons that don't know the concept of playing fair.

yash_1o1

Open the stats window. It is shown in realtime.

For CUDA, it's not a matter of being powerful enough. It absolutely is. The problem is in how the resources are being allocated. If the only thing your GPU had to do was run OBS, then more than likely you would have absolutely no issue. However, you have this gigantic resource hog called a game that is fighting with OBS for all the resources it thinks are top priority.

Best analogy I can give is you have an entire table set with food. OBS is sitting at the table with his own plate of food (imagine this as the nvenc encoder). As long as all it needs is what's on its plate, then everything should run fine. But as soon as you need something that hasn't been already put on the plate, then you have to compete with everyone else at the table for dibs. Some games aren't greedy... others are gluttons that don't know the concept of playing fair.
Oh I am aware of the resource allocation issues OBS has had. I thought setting obs to high priority and running it in admin mode would have solved the issue. thanks for the information though

carlmmii

What kind of storage device is D:? It is most likely the last bottleneck (which is reported in the encoding lag total).

You may need to raise your CQP value, or record directly to C:.

yash_1o1

What kind of storage device is D:? It is most likely the last bottleneck (which is reported in the encoding lag total).

You may need to raise your CQP value, or record directly to C:.
It's a WD Black WD10JPLX - Hard drive - 1 TB - internal - 2.5-inch - SATA 6Gb/s - 7200 rpm - buffer: 32 MB, also just to point out I install most of my programs on the d drive including OBS. Can that be causing an issue too? Lastly if I wanna record to my d drive what CQP value do you recommend me?

carlmmii

Where the program is installed shouldn't matter. It's all the act of writing data to the physical medium that can potentially cause issues. Just as a sanity check though -- do you have any antivirus programs or similar running in the background? Anything that sniffs in/out traffic to drives would create an overhead on top of the actual file transfer process.

As far as the CQP value, keep raising it until you don't have the issue.... really the only advice I can give there.

yash_1o1

Does everything seem to be fine now? Or is there scope for more smoothness by dropping the CQP value further? I am sorry I don;t know how to read these files. Kindly explain for future purposes

Attachments

• 2020-05-09 10-59-56.txt
    6.9 KB · Views: 4