Question / Help FPS/Game Frame Drop From OBS

Antz

Hello, I seem to have an issue with frames, in Minecraft that drop rapidly immediately as I open OBS. In the screenshots provided, the higher FPS is 10 sec. before opening OBS, and the lower FPS is 10 sec. after opening OBS. The reason that I would like the higher game framerate is that my stream would look nicer with higher game fps, allowing me to upgrade the OBS video settings to 60 FPS. Also, I do not have to be recording/streaming for OBS to drop FPS, OBS just has to be open, just as in the picture. If there is any remedy or any information needed that exeeds those that are given, please reply soon. Thank you so much if you are able to help.

Sincerely, Antz :D

Before Opening OBS:
Before OBS.png

After Opening OBS:
After OBS.png

Narcogen

Check Settings / Advanced / Disable OSX V-Sync. Is it on or off? Do you get the FPS hit with either setting?

How is OBS set up to capture-- Display, Window, or Syphon (Game Capture). Both Minecraft and OBS are CPU bound, so you should expect a hit and a big one, although this does seem a bit extreme.

Antz

Check Settings / Advanced / Disable OSX V-Sync. Is it on or off? Do you get the FPS hit with either setting?

How is OBS set up to capture-- Display, Window, or Syphon (Game Capture). Both Minecraft and OBS are CPU bound, so you should expect a hit and a big one, although this does seem a bit extreme.

I tried running the game, and I get the FPS hit with both settings.

And OBS is set up to capture through Syphon (Game Capture)

Thank you coming to try and help!

Narcogen

Macbook Air 2011 11-inch
1.6 GHz Intel Core i5
4GB RAM:[
Intel HD Graphics 3000

The above may be your problem. OBS is CPU intensive. You've pared Minecraft down to the bare minimum, but it looks to me like once OBS is running it just isn't getting enough cycles. I've got a 3.4 Ghz i7 and a 660Ti, but with Minecraft and OBS running I only get 40fps. Most of that, though, are the graphical settings I have on Minecraft and not adding OBS to the mix.

Antz

I have slightly increased my FPS to a solid 50-60 from 10-30 using your settings, thank you!