Question / Help FPS drop/In game lag

Ryan G

Hello, first time posting here. I have been surfing these forums in my quest to create my stream. I'm still encountering the problem of in-game lag on my PS4 when streaming. Is there a way to fix this? My internet is pretty good, a solid 15-30 down and 5-10 up, so I don't believe this to be the problem. I think I have a setting that is set incorrectly somewhere, and I can't seem to figure it out. I have attached log files. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 2015-07-06 17-19-11.txt
    3.6 KB · Views: 33
  • 2015-07-05 12-17-03.txt
    3.1 KB · Views: 17

dodgepong

Administrator
Community Helper
In-game lag on your PS4? That has absolutely nothing to do with OBS, and probably nothing to do with streaming at all assuming you're capturing with some sort of capture card and using passthrough. Sounds like the game on the PS4 is just lagging.

Could you describe your setup in more detail?

EDIT: I think I see the issue, you mean that the preview is laggy, not the game itself. You're using Window capture on your Elgato. Window capture performs very poorly. I recommend using Display capture instead.

Ryan G

Could you describe your setup in more detail?

EDIT: I think I see the issue, you mean that the preview is laggy, not the game itself. You're using Window capture on your Elgato. Window capture performs very poorly. I recommend using Display capture instead.

Flow is as such: PS4>Elgato HD60>Mac.

The lag is definitely the PS4, not caused by OBS. It does go away as soon as I quit OBS though, so I figured OBS might be taking up too much bandwidth. Also, I switched to display capture after reading another forum post and cropped it accordingly. I still experienced dropped frames of 2-3% and the stream would buffer often.

dodgepong

Administrator
Community Helper
OBS absolutely cannot make the PS4 run slower. That is simply not a thing that is possible in any way. Do you mean that you're getting ping lag? Like, high multiplayer latency? That is a different issue.

Where are you watching the PS4? On the Mac? Or are you using passthrough and playing on a TV?

Ryan G

OBS absolutely cannot make the PS4 run slower. That is simply not a thing that is possible in any way. Do you mean that you're getting ping lag? Like, high multiplayer latency? That is a different issue.

Where are you watching the PS4? On the Mac? Or are you using passthrough and playing on a TV?

It's multiplayer latency for sure, only happens when in PvP/Social areas with a lot of people. Which is why I thought that OBS might be using too much bandwidth. The connection is fixed when I quit OBS, even while in the same multiplayer game.

I am using pass through and watching on a TV.

dodgepong

Administrator
Community Helper
OK, so it's ping lag, not performance lag. In that case, that means your stream and the game are competing too much for your internet connection. First try enabling "Minimize Network Impact" in Broadcast Settings, and if that still doesn't help, try lowering the bit rate that you are streaming at.