Failed to initialize video. Your GPU may not be supported, or your graphics drivers may need to be updated.

DavidAames

Attached are the things, having problems with new Nvidia drivers I think it started after I installed CUDA.. but it could have been before that. Let me know if anyone has any ideas.. Debian sid Linux.. and yeah I'm not reverting to a "stable" distro.. just not in the cards, too many old old versions of software. Let me know if you need other info or other stuff.. thanks for reading my post !

PS. I also am having or have had problems finding the plugin directory to put new plugins in as on Debian NONE of the places it exists work when placing plugins in them. Main one is the obs-linuxbrowser one that I need. Thanks!
Thanks!

Attachments

• obs.txt
    5.1 KB · Views: 94

Tuna

Sounds like something is wrong with the NVIDIA driver installation.. but nothing really OBS can help you with.

DavidAames

Sounds like something is wrong with the NVIDIA driver installation.. but nothing really OBS can help you with.

Of course, but maybe someone can make suggestions or something, and there doesn't seem to be any problems with the driver install.. that I can see, anyone want more logs to parse or anything?

Jellymouse

try using older versions/different combinations of libx264 x265 ffmpeg and obs. In my experience, updating any of these can completely break OBS streaming or recording, and it seems to always give some kind of "video driver" or "nvenc" error, even when you aren't using nvenc or an nVidia driver.
OBS Studio seems to like to throw these errors as default catchalls for whatever reason.

Harold

Make sure you're also trying to launch obs from a desktop environment and not an SSH session.

DavidAames

We have lift off!! to get it working with the help of a fellow [dpanter] on https://discord.gg/RQqnqvG7 GamingOnLinux Discord. It basically came down to removing the obs-plugins package then reinstalling obs-studio completely.. seems that obs-plugins was a older version and wasn't being reinstalled with the obs-studio package.

infohome

OBS (Open Broadcast Software) Error - failed to initialize video. Yout GPU may not be supported, or your graphics drivers may need to be updated. -->

SOLUTION
open terminal in ubuntu/debian
type : "LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE=1 obs"

Harold

If you use that option with a sufficiently lacking-in-support video card, you will likely introduce SEVERE performance issues since the computer will have to emulate OpenGL 3.2 functions on the CPU instead of running them on application-specific hardware on the video card.

infohome

OBS (Open Broadcast Software) Error - failed to initialize video. Yout GPU may not be supported, or your graphics drivers may need to be updated. -->

SOLUTION
open terminal in ubuntu/debian
type : "LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE=1 obs"
Sorry guys somehow this solution can only call the OBS to be running on myh laptop. Yet when trying to connect to the external webserver' it seems that my processor power is not powerful enough (there is encoder overload error , etc) . So bascially it is still not a complete solution on my old laptop (Intel Core2Duo DDR2 generation)(intel 965 GM/CL)

Harold

the 965 GM/CL does NOT support opengl above 2.0, so your computer is NOT a supported one.