Facebook live freezing

GanzyMalgwi

Hello,
I am very new to streaming facebook live via OBS, but not to livestreaming over Facebook. I have been streaming with my phone, i have decided to start streaming via obs to have control of the sound and also have multiple angles. I've read hundreds of posts and changed all kinds of settings, but I still get the same outcome. On the OBS program everything runs smooth, but as soon as I start my live video on Facebook, the Facebook stream freezes up and if it does catch up, it just goes back to freezing. I am actually using Iriun web cam as my video source and also playing some videos on my laptop, they both freeze. I am using HP Elite book 1040 G3 core i5 and 16GB of RAM, i decide to try out another dvice i using a mac book pro and the same result and i also change my wireless device and ISP and still freeze. Can someone help with this?

Lawrence_SoCal

most modern smartphones/tablets have dedicated circuitry to do the real-time video encoding which is VERY computationally demanding. Your PC may not.
And laptops, especially lower end U models, or i3/i5 types, tend to be optimized for battery life, not the computationally demanding task of real-time video encoding and end up thermal-throttling.
So, instead of 'driving blind-folded', I recommend monitoring hardware resource (CPU, GPU, RAM, Disk I/O, etc) utilization [for ex. using Task manager’s Performance tab and/or Resource Monitor for Windows OS, System Monitor in MacOS] to see if your system is being maxed out with your settings. You may need to use something else for thermal monitoring. Here are some genral performance articles which may help https://obsproject.com/wiki/General-Performance-and-Encoding-Issues and https://obsproject.com/wiki/GPU-overload-issues. Most likely you are dealing with computers not powerful enough for what you are asking it to do. So, you'll need to lower/adjust your settings, or get a more powerful device. There are numerous discussions on this forum on getting OBS to work with an under-powered system

Also, understand that WiFi can work, but has all kinds of hidden gotchas, so troubleshooting with a wired Ethernet connection is always recommended. Then, recognize you may be streaming fine, but if trying to watch on the same device you may be either overloading the system, or running into a WiFi bottleneck issue [just guessing... it depends]?

GanzyMalgwi

most modern smartphones/tablets have dedicated circuitry to do the real-time video encoding which is VERY computationally demanding. Your PC may not.
And laptops, especially lower end U models, or i3/i5 types, tend to be optimized for battery life, not the computationally demanding task of real-time video encoding and end up thermal-throttling.
So, instead of 'driving blind-folded', I recommend monitoring hardware resource (CPU, GPU, RAM, Disk I/O, etc) utilization [for ex. using Task manager’s Performance tab and/or Resource Monitor for Windows OS, System Monitor in MacOS] to see if your system is being maxed out with your settings. You may need to use something else for thermal monitoring. Here are some genral performance articles which may help https://obsproject.com/wiki/General-Performance-and-Encoding-Issues and https://obsproject.com/wiki/GPU-overload-issues. Most likely you are dealing with computers not powerful enough for what you are asking it to do. So, you'll need to lower/adjust your settings, or get a more powerful device. There are numerous discussions on this forum on getting OBS to work with an under-powered system

Also, understand that WiFi can work, but has all kinds of hidden gotchas, so troubleshooting with a wired Ethernet connection is always recommended. Then, recognize you may be streaming fine, but if trying to watch on the same device you may be either overloading the system, or running into a WiFi bottleneck issue [just guessing... it depends]?
thank for your response. i will try and do the recomendations you have given, i am running a HP elite book 1040 G3. I run the OBS and Adobe audition and Audacity at the same time and two browers one for the stream the other to monitor and I observe using the task manager i was actully maxing out on the perfotmance. I will try running fewer applications and also use a deffrent device to monitor, thou my system have no ethernet port, I will see if i can get an alternative. thank you

Lawrence_SoCal

The issue is that WiFi can work great... or not.. and without being a bit tech savvy, is hard for most folks to self-troubleshoot. But if you are in a rural area, with no other Access Points visible, and you turn off (notice I didn't say don't use, I truly mean power off) all other WiFi devices, and your device has a decent WiFi signal strength, then WiFi might be your issue but I'd focus elsewhere. If the above isn't the case, then way too easy for intermittent WiFi traffic interruption to exist
a USB to Ethernet adapter is cheap, and would be something I'd recommend if you don't have a dock with Ethernet already

GanzyMalgwi

The issue is that WiFi can work great... or not.. and without being a bit tech savvy, is hard for most folks to self-troubleshoot. But if you are in a rural area, with no other Access Points visible, and you turn off (notice I didn't say don't use, I truly mean power off) all other WiFi devices, and your device has a decent WiFi signal strength, then WiFi might be your issue but I'd focus elsewhere. If the above isn't the case, then way too easy for intermittent WiFi traffic interruption to exist
a USB to Ethernet adapter is cheap, and would be something I'd recommend if you don't have a dock with Ethernet already
Ok Thank you, i will try the USB to ethernet. this eveing i will give it a go and see.