Question / Help Estimating required performance?

SubbrSchwob

Hi there,

this is not really a Linux question but I didn't find a better place to put it. I want to use OBS on Ubuntu/kxStudio 16.04 with a laptop. I want to connect two HDMI-USB capture devices to get two streams (30fps, 720p or 1080p), perhaps even three of them later on. Audio will be captured via an old Alesis iO 2 interface.

So far, things work well with my Lenovo Thinkstation desktop machine. Now I want to do this with a laptop that I yet have to buy. Since I'm on a budget, it will have to be a used one. The Lenovo x230t looks great, it is the predecessor of the Yoga. There is a variant with Intel 3rd generation Core i3 to i7 and Intel HD 4000 graphics.

How can I estimate if this machine would have enough power to handle 3 streams in OBS? Most of the processing is done by the HDMI-USB devices (scaling, changing frame rate, etc), these are the LPG2s from AverMedia. But still there would be h264 encoding and video mixing left. And some audio plugin (see my post here).

Thanks in advance for your ideas.
Schwob

sebix

Decoding is cheap, encoding is the critical process. An i7 (which one?) for 720p30 is most likely enough.