Question / Help Encoding too high with every encoder

Fluxxiee

Hello, new to the forum. My question is this why can't I record with any encoder?

Intel quad core i5-4570 3.20GHz
AMD Radeon R9 280x

My specs of my PC are fairly good. I can only seem to record with QuickSync, I can't record with my GPU or x254 because it's ALWAYS too high encoding. Please help it's driving me insane.

Thank you

H4ndy

Forum Moderator
Use "Hardware (QSV)" or the "Software (x264 low CPU usage preset)" presets for recording, seems like your AMD VCE encoder doesn't work well.

2016-06-28_21-16-06_57yAI.png

Fluxxiee

Thanks. I've been using QSV as it's the only thing that seems to work okay. I'm guessing my GPU isn't up for the job. I'm gonna have to upgrade my GPU.

H4ndy

Forum Moderator
Not necessarily. The video encoder on AMD cards (VCE - Video Coding Engine) is just not very mature yet. NVEnc (Nvidia cards) and QuickSync Video (starting with the Core 2xxx series) are more stable by now and widely used already.

In addition to that we are required to use the Windows Media Foundation interface for AMD VCE due to a licening conflict which makes it hard at the moment for OBS to directly use VCE (and to be able to better control the outcome). This might change in the future but at the moment we can only recommend VCE is there is absolutely no other alternative.

Beside all these issues, for recording purpose, all 3 options should provide sufficient quality (if they work). For streaming no hardware encoder is really good yet.

Fluxxiee

I've tried Bandicam using my AMD GPU at 50k bitrate no problem. I try that with OBS at any setting it just can't handle it. Any ideas?

Fluxxiee

No I wasn't using Quicksync lmao. I was using AMD. OBS can't handle my AMD for some reason but other applications can.

H4ndy

Forum Moderator
Like we said, we have to use the Windows Media Foundation API to access the AMD encoder due to licensing conflicts of the AMD SDK and OBS. Bandicam most likely uses the AMD SDK and has more control over the encoder.