"Encoding overloaded!" with NVENC, different settings stream+record. Best option is to change video card? Not using for gaming.

mikealeonetti

Hello,

If TL;DR, just skip to the "My question" line.

Long time listener, first time caller. Read the post "High CPU Usage/High Encoding/Taking too long to encode? Read this first!" first. I thought my question might be slightly different.

I'm not gaming. I'm just using OBS to stream Sunday service at church. I'd like to stream with the quality YouTube asks for max (9000kbs for 1080p 60fps) and better quality for saving to a file (because I'd like to upload just the sermon part later on). So I opted two different settings for stream and record.

When both the stream and recording are running, sometimes I get the "Encoder overloaded!" error. I've tried using both NVENC or NVENC and x264 options. I guess on "harder" segments with more motion this error is thrown, like transitions etc.

My question - I'd like better quality for the recording than for the stream, so that's why I'm using two different options for both. I'd also like to keep the 1080 output resolution. Would upgrading my graphics card solve the issue of "Encoding overloaded!"?

I've attached some perhaps useful images.

Attachments

• Capture1.PNG
    Capture1.PNG
    86 KB · Views: 37
  • Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    86.9 KB · Views: 34
  • Capture3.PNG
    Capture3.PNG
    44.1 KB · Views: 29
  • Capture4.PNG
    Capture4.PNG
    16.7 KB · Views: 23
  • Capture5.PNG
    Capture5.PNG
    10.4 KB · Views: 21

qhobbes

What it does is it allows the encoder to sacrifice some parts of an image to enhance other parts, to make the overall perceived visual quality better to the human eye.
...it does take some GPU usage, so if you're encountering worse performance (encoder overload) with it on then you can also turn it off in that situation.
-Someone On Reddit