Question / Help Encoding overloaded Mac

RaafOBS

Hi everyone, this is my first post in here and I am a bit of a tech novice when it comes to streaming so please bear with me...

I am trying to do a stream to restream.io, however I get an error that says "Encoding overloaded! Consider turning down video settings or using a faster encoding preset."

I am using a MacBook Air (13-inch) mid-2017 with 1,8 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB RAM and Intel Iris 1536MB Graphics card

Thing is I am sure this was working fine last week, but now I am getting this error and when I check the recorded videos on youtube after the live broadcast has finished, they are sometimes choppy and the audio and video is often out of sync. Or freezes but audio continues

I'm trying to upload my settings images but for some reason they aren't uploading so I will try and add them as a comment...
Can anyone help please? Thanks for reading!
Schermafbeelding .png
Schermafbeelding_.png
Schermafbeelding..png

Can anyone help please? Thanks for reading!

Narcogen

You're saying you were streaming 1080p60 last week out of a MacBook Air? Wow!

OK, first of all, in your video settings, there is NO point whatsoever in scaling UP your 900p canvas resolution to a 1080p output. If you dropped the canvas resolution to 900p because of rendering lag, just drop the output as well. In fact it would probably help to drop both to 720p on such a machine.

If you're not doing high motion content, drop your FPS value to 30.

Choose a faster preset than veryfast if that does not address the issue. MBAs can easily become thermally throttled and OBS will perceive this as less available CPU power and this will result in dropped frames due to encoder overload.

View attachment 46585View attachment 46588

In addition to not upscaling (as mentioned above), try setting your encoder to Hardware (Apple VT).

You can adjust your bitrate down too, to match the content. If the content is just talking heads, your bit rate can go to 1200Kbps and will still look great.
Apple Hardware encoder uses VBR though and Restream.io expects strict CBR (which makes sense given their re-encoding). I've had nothing but trouble with that one, e.g. keyframe flickering, streams aborted server-side, etc.