Question / Help Encoding Overload @ veryslow preset high profile on Threadripper 3990x

Whiskey

Hello, I am running a 2 PC stream setup. My stream PC is using an AMD Threadripper 3990x with 64GB Ram and a El Gato 4k60 Pro Mk.2 Capture Card. I have been doing some testing on OBS as to what preset I can use for optimal quality. Right now I am experiencing an encoding overload on slower/veryslow preset with high profile while the CPU utilization is no higher than 25% https://obsproject.com/logs/YV52t8AWBUlx1vgO I have tested with game mode enabled and disabled and also with OBS ran as non admin mode and admin mode. Any help is appreciated!

rockbottom

Nice, I guess even the mighty 3990x has it's limits....

Look at your task manager. You have 64 cores, OBS runs on 16.

Whiskey

So I have found that I can achieve said preset by needing to turn SMT off. Going to do some more tests with SMT on by limiting the amount of cores to see if I can get better performance than with SMT off.

rockbottom

Yeah, that's a kick ass CPU!! I would turn off anything that limits that bad boy when encoding. Make small adjustments as your dialing in your encoding settings.

Whiskey

Even better news! After using the Ryzen Master tool, the first test was done by turning SMT OFF in the game mode Option. After reboot, The number of processors that were only running was 16. The next thing I did was see the difference between game mode and creator mode. I turned SMT back on game mode and swapped to Creator mode and disabled the SMT option there. After reboot Windows 10 actually recognized ALL 64 Processors under 1 socket and now I can encode at placebo setting while only having 15% CPU Utilization. When SMT is ENABLED, windows 10 can only recognize 32 processors and divides them into "2" sockets and that is the main cause of why the encoding was getting overloaded it couldn't reach the right number of cores needed to do it.

rockbottom

You might want to check out Voukoder. I have a 1660 Super/6700k & my render times with Vegas Pro 17 are incredibly fast. 1080p 60fps H265 Slow Present, 10 minute video renders in 2:22. I can't image what your 3990X will do.

https://www.voukoder.org/