Question / Help Encoding Overload On Good PC

KiloHD

I notice on my stream and in recordings that randomly it looks as if the stream stutters or twitch for a quick second and I have noticed on obs I get a high encoding warning even though iam not loosing frames. My cpu usage usually hits around 10-20%. Xbox game mode is disabled and my Avast doesn't have game mode only do not disturb mode. This has been happening for a while and it happens multiple times throughout my stream but not so frequently that I cant stream .

Attachments

• obs stream 22.txt
    9.8 KB · Views: 26

Tomasz Góral

First FB use 1280x720 and 4000kb/s, stream not 1920x1080 and 6000kb/s, second why use x264 for encoding ?
You have GTX1070 use NVENC.

KiloHD

I should also add I have been streaming with these same settings for about a year now an another pc and never had these problems I build this new pc and received these problems so iam not completely new to streaming

koala

because x264 produces better stream quality
This depends on the power of your machine and your GPU.

On the current Turing-based Nvidia GPUs (RTX 2xxx and GTX 1660), the quality of Nvenc is about medium x264 preset. Only if you have a CPU that is able to encode x264 with slow preset without encoding lag, you will produce better quality with x264. Since you want to dedicate your CPU power to the app (game) you stream, you don't usually have the CPU power for that, so nvenc will produce better quality.

For previous Nvidia GPUs, the quality is about the same as x264 veryfast preset. The same as above applies: only if you have a CPU that is able to encode x264 with preset faster (or better), you will produce better quality with x264. Usually, you CPU power is better used for the app you stream than with just encoding.