Encoding overload no idea how to fix

Clanic

hello there, i recently upgraded my rig and in doing so for some odd reason obs now hates me almost every recording i do obs tells me "Encoding overload! Consider turning down your settings or using a faster encoding preset." and i cant seem to find a fix i also didn't change any settings from before i upgraded so after some messing around myself which concluded in failure i reinstalled obs and set it to default settings and still the same issue which is rather annoying cos my games run fine while recording its just when i go to edit my videos some parts of the video will freeze (but still have audio) then after a few seconds the audio cuts out for a couple seconds then its fine again till it happens again obs itself also says my cpu usage throughout the entire time im recording is around 0.3 - 0.7

log file: https://obsproject.com/logs/ubtJJJbhtaEUkTb5

my specs are:
R7 3700x
16gb ddr4 clocked at 3200MHz
gtx 960 (yes i know the gpu is bottlenecking my cpu its next on the list of upgrades and i don't play gpu intensive games)

*sorry if this is a terrible thread my first time using a forum of any kind and at this point i've given up also sorry for grammar

Clanic

Update: changed the cpu usage preset to every single one and they all came up with encoding overload
Is there any chance this is a driver issue?

rockbottom

Try these settings but set Max B-Frames at 0

NVENC Capture 2.JPG

Clanic

ive come to the conclusion that its a pc problem cos i installed another recording software and the same thing. if anyone might know whats happening please let me know

Fitey

your PC should be more than capable of recording

can you post screenshots of your Output and Video settings

rockbottom

In your first log above, your encoding lag was 31% but with no new log I have no way of telling if it improved with the settings I suggested or if you even set them correctly.

You may be correct, something may not be right with your rig so start by gettting rid of the RAM overclock & any other OC's you have set & get them back to stock.

What else did you upgrade beside the CPU? Are you using an old mobo, did you update the BIOS for the 3700x? Are any of the componets not seated correctly or overheating?

If you can't get the GTX-960 to encode without lag, you can always give the x264 encoder a shot.

Clanic

I tr
In your first log above, your encoding lag was 31% but with no new log I have no way of telling if it improved with the settings I suggested or if you even set them correctly.

You may be correct, something may not be right with your rig so start by gettting rid of the RAM overclock & any other OC's you have set & get them back to stock.

What else did you upgrade beside the CPU? Are you using an old mobo, did you update the BIOS for the 3700x? Are any of the componets not seated correctly or overheating?

If you can't get the GTX-960 to encode without lag, you can always give the x264 encoder a shot.
I tried all encoding options but the same thing happened, I also don’t have any overclocks and don’t intend on overclocking , and I had to upgrade mobo ram and cpu due to my old rig having an fx 4100 i also updated the bios when I installed everything and triple checked everything was seated correctly, the only problem I’ve had so far is recording I can multitask the living hell out of my pc but I can’t record for what ever reason I’ll post logs of the settings you suggested when I’m next at my pc

Clanic

I also don’t know if this will be of any help but I can stream at 1080p 60fps and 6000 bitrate without any problems whatsoever

Fitey

I also don’t know if this will be of any help but I can stream at 1080p 60fps and 6000 bitrate without any problems whatsoever
then it's probably something to do with your bitrate or cqp, what's your bitrate at while recording

Dobreyshiy

I got this issue yesterday, when updated to latest Nvidia driver.
Encoder overload on regular basis. On GTX 1070 Ti.

New hardware sheduler option may cause this issue. Turned it off, will check if that helps.
I can suggest to roll back your Nvidia drivers to version 446.14 - this is latest drivers without hardware sheduler support.
By the way, next two drivers caused freezes in Assasin's Creed game series, and in PlanetSide 2. Only last one fixed this problem.

I suggest to OBS devs take a look at what Nvidia has done with their drivers for Win 10 build 2004.

Clanic

I got this issue yesterday, when updated to latest Nvidia driver.
Encoder overload on regular basis. On GTX 1070 Ti.

New hardware sheduler option may cause this issue. Turned it off, will check if that helps.
I can suggest to roll back your Nvidia drivers to version 446.14 - this is latest drivers without hardware sheduler support.
By the way, next two drivers caused freezes in Assasin's Creed game series, and in PlanetSide 2. Only last one fixed this problem.

I suggest to OBS devs take a look at what Nvidia has done with their drivers for Win 10 build 2004.
tried switching to 446.14 but had the same issue, and cant find where to turn off hardware scheduler in latest driver versions

Clanic

i found a fix, apparently my hdd was just to slow so now i'm recording to my 250gb ssd and its working fine.
Thanks to everyone who replied.