Question / Help Encoding lag with Hardware (AMD) Encoding (Encoding is ok with x264)

CaptainC0w

Hi

I'd appreciate a hand with a challenge I'm facing. I've read several threads on similar topics but have been unable to fix this issue myself.

Log file here: https://obsproject.com/logs/wJJWiinkUb63m6m1

When I run x264 encoding my video records ok. x264 encoding:

utput 'simple_file_output': Number of lagged frames due to rendering lag/stalls: 24 (0.2%)

However, I understand Hardware encoding will take pressure off my CPU when gaming (Apex Legends) so ideally I'd like to run Hardware encoding. When I run Hardware (AMD) encoding with the same settings as the x264 encoding my videos skip frames and lag. This is a new pc with an AMD RX 580 graphics card which I'd hope should be good enough to do 1080 60fps at a quality watchable on YouTube.

GPU encoding:

Video stopped, number of skipped frames due to encoding lag: 2617/2863 (91.4%)
Video stopped, number of skipped frames due to encoding lag: 2219/3046 (72.8%)

Changes made so far to optimise recording:
  • Updated both CPU and GPU drivers to the latest
  • Updated Windows 10 to the latest version
  • Run OBS as administrator
  • Reduced fps in Apex Legends to 60
  • Reduced many graphics settings to low/medium to reduce the load on CPU/GPU
  • OBS Process Priority above normal
  • Stopped Windows game mode
  • Stopped Windows DVR
  • Saving to my SSD (which runs Apex too but even so seems to be quicker than my HDD)
  • I did change settings across Output, Audio and Visuals according to a couple of YouTube videos too but have reduced the Output to simple, mp4 and high quality in case I made an error
Hopefully, that gives you enough information but I'll be eagerly checking this thread and will add any further information requested.

Appreciate your help,

CC

CaptainC0w

Capture.PNG

Looks like my GPU can't manage to run Apex at my current settings and encode the video as Video encode reaches 100% in task manager when I set it to do both. Guess I will use x264