Encoder Overloaded HELP PLEASE!

xSLiC3x

So I've been dealing with this issue for quite awhile. On the latest NVIDIA driver (451.67) and Windows 10 (2004) using OBS 25.0.8 I'm getting constant encoder overloads. I'm running an RTX 2080TI (Founder's Edition), a Core I9 9900k and 32 gigs of ram. Despite getting at times 120+ FPS in game, my stream/recordings are a slideshow running at about 12-20 FPS at times. I'm running OBS in administrative mode and I've attempted to turn down the encoder to "Quality" setting with absolutely no change. I've disabled Windows Game Mode and all GeForce related overlays. One weird thing I've noticed is if I'm tabbed out of my game, my stream/recordings are buttery smooth, but the instant I tab back into the game with my cursor the frames drop.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

qhobbes

qhobbes

1. The encoder is skipping frames because of CPU overload. Read about General Performance and Encoding Issues. Try setting your Common FPS to 30.
2. Multiple Game Capture sources are usually not needed, and can sometimes interfere with each other. You can use the same Game Capture for all your games! If you change games often, try out the hotkey mode, which lets you press a key to select your active game. If you play games in fullscreen, use 'Capture any fullscreen application' mode.
3. Your GPU is maxed out and OBS can't render scenes fast enough. Running a game without vertical sync or a frame rate limiter will frequently cause performance issues with OBS because your GPU will be maxed out. OBS requires a little GPU to render your scene.

Enable Vsync or set a reasonable frame rate limit that your GPU can handle without hitting 100% usage.

If that's not enough you may also need to turn down some of the video quality options in the game. If you are experiencing issues in general while using OBS, your GPU may be overloaded for the settings you are trying to use.

Please check our guide for ideas why this may be happening, and steps you can take to correct it: GPU Overload Issues (ignore part about Game Mode).
Uncheck the box Psycho Visual Tuning. Try creating a new Scene Collection that is just 1 Game Capture source.
4. In Windows 10 versions 1809 and newer, we recommend that "Game Mode" be enabled for maximum gaming performance. Game Mode can be enabled via the Windows 10 "Settings" app, under Gaming > Game Mode

xSLiC3x

Thank you for the reply. Why does this issue not happen when I'm using an older driver? Also as I noted, when I tab out of a game even rendering the same exact scene, the frames jump right back up to buttery smooth 60FPS until I tab back into the game. To clarify, the same amount of action/things are happening in the game when it's out of focus, but the minute I put the game window into focus these frame drops happen.

Attached is another log file using the same settings and setup using an older driver where the issue is not present.

Attachments

• 2020-07-29 00-49-10.txt
    23 KB · Views: 16

scrythis1

I too have no problems with older versions. the more recent versions are really bad. My AMD processor used to be able to do the encoder but now with the update, i cannot

qhobbes

1. In Windows 10 versions 1809 and newer, we recommend that "Game Mode" be enabled for maximum gaming performance. Game Mode can be enabled via the Windows 10 "Settings" app, under Gaming > Game Mode
2. Binding to a manually chosen IP address is rarely needed. Go to Settings -> Advanced -> Network and set "Bind to IP" back to "Default".
3. The log contains an Auto-Config Wizard run. Results of this analysis are therefore inaccurate. Please post a link to a clean log file.
To make a clean log file, please follow these steps:

1) Restart OBS.
2) Start your stream/recording for about 30 seconds. Make sure you replicate any issues as best you can, which means having any games/apps open and captured, etc.
3) Stop your stream/recording.
4) Select Help > Log Files > Upload Current Log File. Send that link via this troubleshooting tool or whichever support chat you are using.