Elgato stream/record lag

Tinkerbell

I need help with reducing lag when streaming and recording off obs. I have a 2014 MacBook Pro retina 13th inch. the specs are below:

Processor: 2.6 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5

Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3

Graphics: Intel Iris 1536MB

Software: MacOS 11.4 BigSur

Please help

Lopez903

Streaming and recording at the exact same time through OBS is extremely taxing on a computer. People build beefy computers for such purposes. But don't fret, you can build a nice streaming pc for not too much monies. The only problem is finding a gpu and at a reasonable price at that, (the Great Chip Shortage of 2021).

Several solutions to this, depending on what's easier and available for you
• Build a pc geared towards streaming, (plenty of reddit posts that can help with that at different budget levels.)
• You can buy capture cards that can externally record footage for you on an SD card, or record footage with lil to no CPU load.
(AverMedia & Elgato capture cards come to mind) (make sure the capture card is capable of recording externally)
• You could stream using restream.io website to stream to multiple streaming platforms simultaneously. If you stream on Facebook Live you could stream on Youtube as well and have a "copy" of your stream to download from Youtube.

A few notes
• I'm assuming a lot here without much info on the kind of streaming you're doing.
• There could also be more advanced solutions to your problem that I'm unaware of or am not too familiar with.
( You could maybe output your screen as an hdmi source? and feed that to another computer and have the 2nd computer do the recording?)
• The capture cards won't record externally what you have exactly being broadcast in OBS, like your overlays, text, or any sources you add in your scenes, they will record footage from the sources they are connected directly to, like video cameras and gaming consoles.
• I could be wrong about the functionality of the capture cards if they add newer features in software updates or release new hardware.
• I could also be wrong in general, there's always something new to learn in OBS with different setups for various kinds of Live Streams.

Hope some of this info helps! :)