Question / Help Elgato HD60 with OBS and Mac - Questions

GrathiusXR

Hey,

New to streaming and new to the OBS forums so needed some help. I am looking at purchasing a new home configuration for streaming both my Xbox One and PS4. Since the in-built Twitch apps are extremely restrictive in what you can do, I've gone the route of the Elgato HD60.

Capturing footage is amazing and works flawlessly, which is great. However my current set-up is ridiculous when it comes to streaming, cannot handle it. I've been looking at possibly purchasing a Mac Mini to assist with streaming, however not too sure what to get.

Now the Elgato/OBS website states I need at least a 2nd Gen i7 for streaming, if I were to purchase a Mac Mini with a 4th Gen i5 2.6Ghz and Iris Pro would that suffice for streaming console games? I know that OBS have released a Mac version which works but there is no direct support for the HD with OBS apart from third party tinkering.

Has anyone successfully gotten the HD60 to work with OBS on a Mac w/ Yosemite and if so, what spec would your Mac be to run a stable stream at at least 720p (As I have the internet capable of doing so?)

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and if this isn't the right thread, please direct me to where I need to go.

Thanks!

Hey there!

I submitted a resource for streaming using the Elgato software + OBS on a Mac that may come in handy (https://obsproject.com/forum/resources/stream-setup-tutorial-for-mac-w-elgato-obs.123/)

I myself am using a MacBook Pro Mid-2012, 2.5 Ghz i5 with 8gb ram and have no issues whatsoever with this setup. In fact, I often record using the Elgato software, stream on Twitch, AND even record a second time through OBS without any slowdowns.

(For anyone curious as to why I record OBS as well, it's to be able to record the stream with a facecam since the Elgato software only records gameplay)

Hope that helps!

Nicholas

GrathiusXR

Awesome man.

So a Mac Mini 4th gen i5 2.6 Ghz with Iris Pro would easily be enough to stream. If worse comes to worse I can always bootcamp Windows on the Mac for driver support so I have no problems.

What resolution do you stream at if you don't mind me asking? 720p or 1080p? I'll be happy with 720p streaming so I can get a more consistent stream. But if you stream fine than the iri pro which is said to be at least 60% faster and more powerful would easily be enough.

Yup, it will work just fine!

Personally, I stream at 720p - just a matter of preference. I've streamed in 1080p before. You shouldn't have any issues when it comes to streaming. An i7 processor would be best overall, but you're not "that" limited in using an i5 processor with Iris Pro. ;)

Nicholas

AT ONE SIR

Thank you for this info. I'm afraid that I made a mistake buying (hasn't arrived yet) the HD60 for streaming via my 21.5" iMac -- where OBS and NightDev has been doing a fantastic job --even with my flight sim streams, which really push the system.

I wanted to stream some 360 games, thus the "need" for the elgato. I just wish there was an inexpensive HDMI >> Thunderbolt cable. I really just want the 360 video (720p is fine) as a source in OBS.

G Nunez

Hey guys, I just bought the Elgato HD60. I'm trying to play my PS4 on my MacBook Pro without a TV or external monitor. Is it possible?

dodgepong

Administrator
Community Helper
The U3 should be playable, but I don't know the state of its Mac support. I don't think you can add it directly to OBS for Mac, probably necessitating using Display capture.

justsmelly

I have a mac made in mid 2014. It has an intel I5 processor but says 1.4 ghz without boost. Will the hd60 work fine on my mac or no?

TyLikesTheBOOM

I have a 27" iMac [ 3.4GHz i7 | 8GB running Yosemite ].
I have an Elgato HD60 and have DLed OBS and other numerous software.

The issues I am having are:
I cannot hear game audio and there is a delay on my controller movement.
Any suggestions? Please and thank you.

amsyar ZeRo

Would something like this be an alternative? I'm skeptical. It's called the ExtremeCap U3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsM5ofGi8kM

http://www.amazon.com/AVerMedia-Rec...&qid=1441589630&sr=8-1&keywords=extremecap+u3

I appreciate the fast response!

I have a 27" iMac [ 3.4GHz i7 | 8GB running Yosemite ].
I have an Elgato HD60 and have DLed OBS and other numerous software.

The issues I am having are:
I cannot hear game audio and there is a delay on my controller movement.
Any suggestions? Please and thank you.

I have made a guide on capture cards and OBS MP.Maybe it would help?
https://obsproject.com/forum/resour...nux-with-capture-cards-and-obs-mp-studio.252/

RaverX3X

Thank you for this info. I'm afraid that I made a mistake buying (hasn't arrived yet) the HD60 for streaming via my 21.5" iMac -- where OBS and NightDev has been doing a fantastic job --even with my flight sim streams, which really push the system.

I wanted to stream some 360 games, thus the "need" for the elgato. I just wish there was an inexpensive HDMI >> Thunderbolt cable. I really just want the 360 video (720p is fine) as a source in OBS.

The best way to do it if you're going to console game and use obs for streaming is get yourself a cheap HDMI splitter.
You will need 3 screens your mac as one screen the second for screen capture, the third screen will be so you can actually play without av delay.

Depending on how many consoles you had, Consoles into HDMI splitter output 1 to Tv or monitor output to to HD60 or you can do hdmi switch box to one output and put the Elgato between the HDMI multi input and the TV bad part is you always have to have the Damn thing powered on.

Another Cheap way would be to use the software that comes with it + another screen bypassing obs.

They have Thunderbolt to HDMI for about 6 bucks.
https://www.google.com/webhp?source..._th=1&ie=UTF-8#q=thunderbolt+to+hdmi&tbm=shop