Question / Help Elgato Game Capture HD60 S stutters when using OBS Studio

Ceraph1216

Hello,

I've had my Elgato Game Capture HD60 S for a few months now and it had been working fine, but for some reason whenever I use it with OBS Studio the video feed stutters every few seconds. My video input is set to 720 60fps in the Elgato Game Capture video settings and my video output in OBS is also set to 1280 x 720. This happens regardless of if I'm actively streaming / recording or if I'm just previewing the scene. When I'm using Elgato's Game Capture HD software the video feed is fine, so I don't think it's a hardware issue. I'm not sure what changed or why it's not working anymore but any help would be greatly appreciated. Below are my PC specs:

Processor: AMD FX9tm)-6350 Six-Core Processor 3.90 GHz
Installed memory (RAM): 8.00 GB
graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960

Here is a link to the OBS Studio log: https://gist.github.com/ac059aa23dbfa2784415086f4d71b4d6

Here is a link to the video I recorded before I grabbed the log linked above: https://youtu.be/1fy29RoTKf8

Thanks,
~ Ceraph

Xorath

I'm having the same issues with my AVerMedia LGX where it stutters randomly, especially during fast motion gameplay, even for something like Sonic Mania. It's like it drops a few frames or rather, it skips them to catch up.

It only happens on my OBS Studio presentation, when I play from the LGX software even with a clean profile where the game feed is the only thing that's loaded into it, everything is fine on my hardware end. AverMedia LGX + OBS Studio don't even scratch the surface of both my Intel i7 7700HQ & my NVidia GTX1070. It's an OBS Studio issue... also in this setup I only have Windows 10 OS, so don't know if OBS Studio is just not optimized for both the forced AERO & Windows 10.

I don't think this would improve even if I go back to the LGP, if it's an optimization issue. Plus why do I want to go back to something with more delay with its inferior 2.0 USB tech. Hahahaha!

https://obsproject.com/forum/thread...oth-jitter-with-lgx-feed-on-obs-studio.75335/

Anyways, I'm still waiting response on my issue but to no avail. :/

Here's my old thread. Really trying to figure out my issues. I know it's definitely not USB3.0 & USB3.1 drivers not being updated, even tried the Y cable method for more power if my USB ports weren't giving enough power to the card. Nothing changes.

I would really appreciate the help and I hope Cera's issue is also fixed, because I believe we're suffering from very similar issues.

Carl Chan

Hello Ceraph, I've just got the elgato hd60s and I was wondering if you found a solution to your problem. I have the same problem and can't find a solution anywhere

BLUTREINA

I know, I know, I'm at risk of committing thread necromancy, but it seems nobody has posted a solution for like three years.
Fixed it. Looks like this problem is the same across all Elgato products. I was even able to confirm this in ye olde 2012 Elgato Game Capture HD. The stuttering will never happen in the actual native Elgato streaming software, but let's be honest, nobody wants to use that.

Here's how to fix stuttering in OBS's video capture device settings:
  • - never use directsound, use waveout if you must use desktop audio.
    (Even with a dedicated SPU, directsound option causes the framerate to stutter harder than a morning-wood split-stream piss)
  • - uncheck convert standard definition input to 640x480. This seems to be the main source of the issue.

I unchecked stretch standard def too just for good measure, since it seems the standalone capture exe is a hot mess and should probably be run with as little unnecessary processing as possible.

Good luck, Have fun!

chrcoluk

I fixed it by enabling buffering, what is interesting about this there is half a dozen posts or so on the internet, telling people to disable buffering.