Question / Help Echo and metallic sound when streaming to YT

radioathena

Hi,

I have been streaming on YT thanks to OBS (and ReStream) since several months.

Sometime, it is not always the case, I have a metallic sound that happen on all microphones, we do not hear it in our headphones that give us a live feedback, but listeners hear it in the YT broadcast. When we get the metallic sound it is usually pretty hard (and almost impossible, from my experience, even though it happened that I managed to fix it live by deleting some sources) to fix it live. Usually, to this metallic sound also comes echo, but only sometime.

You can hear an example here in a live test we have conducted before a real live. Interestingly, we could get a proper live (that is, without metallic sound or echo, during the test, but when we launched the stream with our local mikes + a guest on Skype, it actually worked. We got maybe one or two echos during the 2 hours of streaming but that's ok.)

Here at 5'52'' you can hear the metallic sound, and the echo adding to it at 6'08''.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5FsUipry4U&feature=youtu.be

Here is a description of my set up :

one USB mixing table to which I plug in 4 shure SM7 microphones, one headphones preamp to which are plugged 5 headphones, one USB that is linked to my computer, and one audio cable, going from the headphones plug on the computer to the mixing table (that is so we can have the audio of skype guests and music when we need it - i know this could be a reason but there are many times when we had it this way and did not have any issues still).

I have seen some threads where it is advised to have no monitoring on (but that is usually my case, sometime we do have simply the music with monitor ON but we barely use music (only introduction and conclusion of stream), other threads advise to have a virtual or an unused monitoring device in OBS settings, but I think I have checked that too, and it didn't necessarily helped.

Could it be because of my three webcams? Sometime it felt that when I disabled the one I don't use, the issue was fixed, but here also, sometime this thing didn't work.

I am sorry for the unorganised description, but I truly hope some of you out there can help me.

I wish you all a great day

Narcogen

Likely an echo. You either have duplicate devices (check that you don't have the same device enabled in Settings > Audio and also an explicit source in a scene, or that you're capturing an audio device you have set as your monitoring device and then you have one or more devices set to output and monitor in Edit > Advanced Audio Properties

retox

I overcame this problem by recording the desktop in mono. All attempts to record internally in stereo resulted in the same result (metallic sounding audio) that you had, regardless of my settings. Although I recorded internally in mono, playback of the recording was delivered in stereo. I am on a mac and running soundflower.