Question / Help Dummy Video/NDI+ Sources to comfortably work on Layout

dezan

Setting up all my gear just to work on my Stream layout for events I produce is pretty taxing, is there any way I can set up a dummy source for a camera or NDI video to save myself a lot of time and headache working on multiple different events I host?

koala

Make some example screenshot of the thing you intend to capture, then add it with an image source and display this screenshot instead of the camera or ndi source. This way you have a still image instead of a video, which should be enough to design your overlays around it.

dezan

Make some example screenshot of the thing you intend to capture, then add it with an image source and display this screenshot instead of the camera or ndi source. This way you have a still image instead of a video, which should be enough to design your overlays around it.
Yeah I've been doing that, but redoing all that perfectly to fit the overlay is a huge pain. I was hoping there was a method of having the sources mocked for a seemless transition back into what it's supposed to be. I'm getting really complicated with this plugin that lets you skew and angle sources.

Would be cool if I could have OBS just fill the object with a solid color even to occupy the space.

koala

A solid color? That's somewhat easy to simulate. Add a color source to your scene and position it just below the camera source. With "below" I mean it should be listed below the camera source in the list of sources. Then resize it so that it occupies exactly the same space as the camera source. Done. If the camera is inactive, it is transparent and the color shines through. If the camera is active, it replaces the camera.
If you need the camera in multiple scenes and need to arrange both sources in multiple scenes, create a group with both sources and add this group to your scene instead of both separately.

To make sources exactly the same size and position, right-click the source->Transform->Edit Transform. Here you can read and set position and size by pixel.