Question / Help Does OBS work with multiple video inputs?

alexrjohnson.22

Hello,
I work at a church and have been experiencing some issues with the live-streaming program we use on Sundays. Up until this past week, it worked just fine live-streaming to our Facebook page, but randomly decided that the settings on the Facebook page don't give us authorization to stream to it anymore - even though we didn't change any of the settings. We have multiple video and audio sources going all different directions in our media booth, one of which is directly plugged into the iMac whose sole purpose is to livestream. Also, we use Proclaim to fulfill our presentation and multimedia needs for our services.

My question is this - if we download OBS, will it work for our needs?

Narcogen

OBS can handle multiple video inputs. It functions as a video switcher as well as a live encoder. Beyond that there isn't really enough specific information to say "yes OBS will work for you" but I don't see any reason why it wouldn't unless there are specific conditions for you that OBS can't fulfill.

Please be careful with capture hardware-- there are inexpensive capture devices that are promoted as "compatible with Mac" and "compatible with OBS" but in actuality do not work with OBS when running on MacOS.

psnorton23

Possibly.
I'm using a PC so I can't comment on Mac compatibility.

I run 2 cameras almost continuously in my Facebook livestream.
I then edit and upload footage to Youtube.

If you want to see dual cameras in use at once here is a YouTube link.
Dual camera starts around 50 seconds in:

I've tested with more cameras at once as well.
OBS allows you to overlay one on the other, or switch back and forth between full screens, etc.
I think the limit is more dependent on your system than the software.

You said you only have one source going to your mac for the livestream though...
Do you mean you are mixing the video/audio all in the booth (on some other devices) then feeding it to the Mac which then streams it?

I do not have experience with Proclaim, but is that all being mixed before the feed goes to the Mac?

One thing I could recommend to you, that I do myself:
Setup a new "secret" group in Facebook.
Join it.
Don't invite anyone else.
Test your livestream settings in that group BEFORE you do anything live.

Note that you will have to change the stream key in OBS when you stream to different Facebook groups/pages/etc.
So if you change your OBS setting just remember that before you try to stream to your "normal" place you need to update it.