Does camera recording limit apply in OBS ?

Boblebad

Hello

I'm looking to buy a new 4k DSLR or mirrorless camera for recording online courses. I'm then presented with most cameras only being able to record 30 min.

Does that apply when connecting it to my PC and using OBS to record the camera ?

It would be a lot easier AND cheaper to find a camera then :)

All the best
Carsten

Lawrence_SoCal

Like so many things... it depends
Some cameras (cough Canon) have silly legacy artificial video record limits (which in latest firmware is starting to go away...).
However
- Are you planning to record to camera then grab that video and use as a Media Source?
OR
- Are you thinking of using a USB connection and use camera as a webcam (beware resolution limits that very by make and model) or finding a modern camera with a Clean HDMI output, get a HDMI capture device (ie HDMI cable out of camera into Capture device (usually USB nowadays) into OBS PC and use that as a Video (camera) Source?
be sure to read and understand camera mfg FAQs on their USB webcam utilities, and the specific implications per camera model. Camera mfg support forums are a good source of detailed info on specifics of using certain cameras as a 'webcam'

For example, the Canon R5 initially released with a record time limit. But that doesn't apply when just using the camera with an external video recorder/processor (OBS in this case). In the use of camera as webcam, your issue hopefully won't be record limit (as you aren't recording in camera) but could easily be battery life. Using an AC adapter (with dummy battery or whatever that mfg uses) will probably be good idea to have/use.

a DSLR/mirrorless camera will provide a MUCH higher quality image.... but will also be a LOT more expensive than a simple 4K webcam (like order of magnitude).. so.. depends on your use case. For a really professional look, you'll want a teleprompter setup (but such is not common) which can be done with inter-changeable lens camera or a webcam

FerretBomb

As Lawrence said, some limits are artificial, some are functional.
Canon does both, faking a timer-based 'overheat' on some models, to cover for an actual overheating problem that they didn't want to track through actual temperature monitoring.

Some like Sony with the a5100 and a few other models, the overheating issue (if one exists) is restricted to on-camera recording; the extra heat produced by the CPU to handle the encode is what trips it. Just using the HDMI output, there's no encoding load on the camera's CPU, and so no overheat happens.
I'd strongly encourage the Sony side if you don't already have glass for a competitor. Clean HDMI across the board (Canon are well-known for non-clean, and only some models can be fixed with custom firmware like MagicLantern), generally reliable and available.

Suslik V

Originally, the time limits in cameras were based on the file system limits (where FAT32 max file size was 4GB). The next limit was .mp4/.mov format specific data (moov box) that is stored in the RAM until recording ends and only then these data written to the flash. Camera is not PC, thus RAM is always limited to some fixed value and most of it is used for the encoding purposes.

Many people on this forum uses capture cards to capture the camera feeds - this is only the way you may get the best quality from the camera. Main concern of this method - some cameras cannot switch off UI helpers (the shatter speed, focus frame, time, recording active symbol etc.) when transferring data through HDMI (or whatever they use), so each camera has its limits (this includes marketing limitations too). Example from the Mac section of the forum: https://obsproject.com/forum/threads/canon-250d-camera-settings-show-on-record.150819/ (valid for the Windows too). Later, the sound from the camera may become important for you too. So, be ready for a headache with a new buy, and don't forget to switch off power saving...

Boblebad

Hello all, and thank you :)

To take it from a camera model point, i have been looking at Panasonic FZ2500, Sony ZV-E10 and Canon GH3 and GH4, as recomended by a friend who knows something about cameras when used on their own. The two first doesn't have the 30 min recording limit, but, bought most placed, the Canons have. I volunteer at a place where they bought them in Australia to get them without the limit.

What i want to use it for is recording teaching videos for online courses. For that i want to use slides from Powerpoint, and to make it easiest for me i want to use OBS and mix it all together. Audio will be a external mic, so the camera needs to be able to connect one. This is of course for when i will use it outside of OBS. The mic i can just put into USB and i have audio. I also might want to use it for streaming, and then the 30 min limit is a real problem.

And yes i also heard about the overheating of the smaller cameras and thought; How nice, just around 30min they start doing that ;-)

As i understand the 30min limit, it's because "BIG Movie" doesn't want us to record their movies in a theater. I don't care about that, i just want to be able to record what i need :)

So the question is still; When connected to my PC using OBS, will that 30min limit still be enforced ?

If so, or it it's problematic to get around in a way so the quality of the recording is still good, then i will need to by a camera without this limit. But on the other hand, if this limit doesn't exits when using OBS, then i have a lot more options for a good camera.

I don't need 4K, but i would like to have it as an option later on, so it's some sort of "future proof".

All the best
Carsten

Tomasz Góral

It's some diffrents the camera vs film camera and limit's 29:59, this is customs diff.
e.g Panasonic GH5 is film camera and don't have limit, Canon EOS 5D Mark IV have limits and is camera.
If you connect camera or film camera via HDMI to computer (via grabber) you can records screen as long need (or builid software stops sharing hdmi or battery stop, read about dummy battery).

Lawrence_SoCal

As i understand the 30min limit, it's because "BIG Movie" doesn't want us to record their movies in a theater. I don't care about that, i just want to be able to record what i need :)
No, there was a tax reason (video camera vs stills camera) that went away ages ago. A record limit was a real reason at one time... but now is more over-heating related, and in some cases artificial.
So the question is still; When connected to my PC using OBS, will that 30min limit still be enforced ?
Maybe I and others weren't clear. or you are misunderstanding...
*IF* your intent is to use the camera with a direct video feed into computer, and use OBS to mix that live camera feed along with PowerPoint (the most common setup/scenario), then you ARE NOT RECORDING on the camera. in which case, camera record limits are NOT applicable. you can largely stop worrying about them

Where record limits come into play is if you record video on camera (ie, not connected to OBS or as a backup recording) then take the video file off camera and place on the PC, then play video file as a Media Source and composite with OBS. This will take extra time, and is an uncommon setup (there are good reasons for this, but... I'm guessing not applicable in your scenario)

So... because you have not answered the question about how you plan to connect camera video feed to OBS, I'll go with assuming the webcam approach.
- in which case, camera record limits are a non-issue as you are NOT recording on camera
(there are some new/current low-end cameras that may overheat and still impose a HDMI output time limit, but that is rare, as far as I'm aware of.)
Also, this means you are NOT making a backup recording on camera, as then record limits would come into play
And folks will tell you that if you do on-camera recording, and it does have a time limit, it probably won't be that big of a deal to take a momentary break every so often to stop/restart recording (you'll want to take a drink every so often, etc).​
- As for Canon, I have an 80D, which you have to fiddle with settings to get a Clean HDMI out (and lose some important functionality in the process). The Canon 90D (2019) did have Clean HDMI out. So, if you are buying a relatively current model camera, then most mfgs, including Canon, will provide Clean HDMI out. The issues I've encountered, and others, are from older cameras [on which you can get great deals].

4K video is basically 3840x2160 or only 8.3 megapixels. So, most digital cameras in last decade+ are that resolution or higher. Basically, you'll be hard pressed to get a digital camera now that isn't capable of 4K video. Again, presuming webcam usage, your research needs to be on the HDMI output options (ex confirm camera won't timeout/time limit/overheat, etc with HDMI out, no on-camera recording). You probably don't care (if even aware) of color range output considerations. But, if you plan to go with professional lighting, and highly produced looking videos, it might be something to consider.

At this point, you may want to research YouTuber videos on their camera setups, as camera lens becomes an important consideration. How much space do you have to work with will impact focal length of lens. Real wide-angle lens, required to keep camera close to you, will have a distorting effect. A typical portrait lens length means having the camera many feet away from you. And how will that look? will that 'look' work for you? Are you planning for good lighting? do you wear glasses? etc
And if going with wide angel lens setup, so camera close to monitor, and considering the complications, I'd seriously recommend reconsidering a high-quality 4K webcam instead, as such will be much cheaper and easier in the long run.

It really comes down to the video image you want, and your budget

Last edited:

Suslik V

...if you record video on camera (ie, not connected to OBS or as a backup recording) then take the video file off camera and place on the PC, then play video file as a Media Source and composite with OBS...
Do not promote the thoughts about recording on camera and then importing the video file into OBS. OBS is NOT a nonlinear video editor. And OBS developers protecting this point of view to the death. It is only "video recording and live streaming" tool (literally). Every video imported into OBS should be prepared for streaming in some other external editor (OBS is real-time tool, and heavy 200MBit/sec video may not run smooth). There is no option to easy start the video from the given point, and more, and more, and more. Obviously, if user is waving what to buy - its PC is not high-end machine. And user may not aware of the prices for the 4K capture cards, and more, and more, and more.

The backup recording, itself - is OK.

Last edited:

Lawrence_SoCal

@Suslik V - I completely agree that using OBS as a nonlinear editor is a really bad idea. I was just trying to be thorough regarding scenarios, especially with record time-limit specific question (so thinking how/when that would apply with OBS). However, my use case (HoW) involved using a combination of live and pre-recorded video (pre-edited outside OBS as you mentioned) and then composited for a livestream. Depending on the teaching style, format, and content, I could imagine a scenario where recording on camera is then later combined with a screen capture. Less than ideal, imo, but depends on the situation.
For beginners, and without a specific good reason, I wholeheartedly agree that capturing video separately, then later adding/mixing/compositing a screen capture is generally not advisable

And you bring to my mind another consideration - when using OBS to record (vs livestream) the temptation (and often, expectation) is to present a clean video, which may well mean non-linear editing of the OBS video afterwards (eliminate Ums, AHs, pauses, mis-spoke, do-overs, etc). The benefit of livestreaming is that such spoken errors are largely forgiven. But when watching pre-recorded content, we tend to expect more/better
The point being, for the original poster, is to consider not only PC and camera requirements for OBS, but also the post -OBS video cleanup, trimming, etc. Obviously, the desire is for a single take and NOT have to fix/edit the video later... but how realistic that is will vary by person. Depending on editing skills, for some folks it may be easier/faster to edit an OBS created video than keep re-doing OBS 'takes'. Then, if someone does commit to editing the OBS created video, then during the recording session, a user will learn to make a clear audio and visual notice of 'oops' (or whatever), pause for a clean edit point, then re-start before the 'oops'
A work-flow consideration, with hardware and software implications.

I know, I know.. the question was about camera record limits
but once you deal with which camera to use, and a couple of videos are created, then with the common desire to improve one's output (or constructive criticism, or self-comparison to other similar 'teachers')
- then comes video lighting
- then comes video transitions, effects, overlays, chromakeying, etc
- then comes post OBS video editing
this of course excludes the whole up-front script/material prep time commitment

all for what someone hoped would be simple ;^) and why I stick to helping out posting here, vs creating YT videos ....

Boblebad

Thank you all for your words :)

And sorry for the late reply from me.

OBS i will only use for the recording. nothing more. I don't know yet what i will be using for editing. But i'm going for best raw video and just the need of cutting it. That's why i want to get a good camera. I'm not going for pro yet, but at some point i will. Now it just needs to be good :)

I have attended physical courses and education in presenting and teaching, so i'm very clear on the ehh, and stuff like that. I will have to see how good i'm at not doing them now some years later ;-) I'm aiming for a one-take-shoot. I will only be using pointers, not a complete script. I'll be talking about something i know really well, so i'm not afraid not knowing what to say.

I will of course do a lot of test-shoots to check and tune my performance. For me it's about being natural and authentic - being human.

Well, it will be like webcam then. My intention is just to connect it via hdmi and use OBS for recoding, and the slideshow addition. I'll pay close attention to the clean hdmi thing.

So to sum it all up, i can see that the recording limit might not be the problem it looked like, because i'm not at the moment going to do much recording outside PC/OBS. For that i might be using my phone and gyro. For other content i will be aiming at 20-24 min. so i'll be out of the limit zone with that.

All the best
Carsten