Do OBS updates affect plug-ins?

Lawrence_SoCal

When OBS issues updates, how will I know if the plug-ins I have downloaded will still work?
Plug-ins are written for a certain target environment (API, interface, etc). Sometimes an App update doesn't change any of those 'touch' points, sometimes it does. So, whether an OBS update will break/negatively impact a plug-in is plug-in dependent. I intentionally keep my # of plug-ins very limited for just this reason. With the update to OBS v26, 1 update would no longer work (and required plug-in update, the other worked fine)... so... sorry, it depends. You have to check with EACH plug-in

Last edited:

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
We usually purposely preserve ABI/API compatibility so that plugins don't break. If they do break, it's usually on accident during a beta build, not release builds. In the future we might change API/ABI, but whenever we eventually decide to do that, we'll implement a popup warning dialog in the program for it or something similar.

Lawrence_SoCal

Jim, understood, and why I was broader than API and used phrase 'touch' points

I was thinking specifically of Exeldro's Media Control plugin (which is very important to my stream workflow, with its time remaining display on pre-recorded media). v0.2 of Media Controls works with OBS v25, and v0.3 and up works with OBS v26. When I upgraded OBS to v26, I got funky UI issues with the older plug-in, and had to update. [and with the implied BETA status with a 0.x version number, I'm okay with that].
I understand that a plug-in developer can use 'published/recommended' APIs, or sometimes will interface/hook using other methods [for whatever reason, some good, some not). And sometimes those connections or defaults change (or a plug-in author's assumption is no longer valid) ... and I understand and accept that [Granted many users don't understand the intricacies of s/w integration]

So, even when the authors of OBS (or any other S/W package) try not to break plug-ins doesn't mean that an end user is guaranteed that ALL plug-ins will work the same after an OBS {or other App} update... I would consider that an unreasonable expectation. The challenge of S/W dev is innovating and improving and trying to maintain compatibility... hard thing to do. I further understand that with FOSS, expectations I would have of a enterprise commercial vendor regarding testing, documentation, support, etc don't apply and that is ok.

Keep up the good work with OBS, it is appreciated