Do I need a graphics card to livestream church service?

OGCC

We've been livestreaming on a borrowed laptop, and need to buy our own computer. It's just a video feed and a presentation software being uploaded to youtube. Should we spend the extra money buying a laptop with more RAM or dedicated graphics?

R1CH

Forum Admin
Developer
RAM isn't too important as long as there's enough for all the programs you want to run. An integrated GPU is also fine for simple scenes, the primary benefit of a dedicated GPU like a GTX 1650 Super is the hardware encoder (NVENC) which provides great quality with minimal CPU usage.

Lawrence_SoCal

OGCC - be aware that different methods of video capture (USB webcam vs HDMI capture other other) will have different CPU impacts. Same goes for how you are getting presentation s/w into OBS (Windows capture or ??) . For example, We are using PowerPoint, and that has a higher CPU impact than would PDF pages. Also, you have to consider whether you plan to incorporate pre-recorded videos (ex Readings/Lessons) and video format/codec for those videos.
I, too, am about to buy a PC to replace using a borrowed engineering workstation class laptop that is being used at the moment (way overkill.. but only device available that was powerful enough to reliably stream for complete newbie without knowledge nor time to figure out optimizing streaming setup on short notice)

When it comes to a laptop, I'd argue to get the dedicated GPU now, as you can always add RAM for cheaper on your own later if need be, but adding/upgrading a GPU is usually not an option, or prohibitively expensive on upper-end gaming laptops, and even then, really limited options.

OGCC

Thanks for the input. We've been using the pastor's gaming laptop with a 7th gen i7, 8gb of RAM, and a 3gb 1660. We seem to have just enough computer for streaming 1080 30fps through our external aver gamecapture from a handycam. We are unable to keep the stream healthy when we attempt to launch additional programs (Like the presentation programs). I wasn't sure if this was a GPU, CPU, or RAM limitation. It sounds like we would be better off with a system with an i5, 8gb RAM and 6gb 1660, than we would be a system with a i7 and 16gb ram on integrated graphics. Is this accurate?

Again, thank you so much for any input. We're a small church of around 40 and all of this is new to us...

qhobbes

I have a similar setup (but no dedicated GPU) for just streaming video and it just works. Try a different presentation software such PowerPoint Mobile or LibreOffice. Make sure you are using NVENC as your encoder and this should free up CPU cycles.

Lawrence_SoCal

gaming laptop with a 7th gen i7, 8gb of RAM, and a 3gb 1660.
the CPU and GPU are fine, even with Windows 10. As noted elsewhere, probably prudent to avoid Win10 v2004 (feature update released last month). I'd recommend using Task Mgr to monitor RAM usage. I suspect extra RAM will help. Though as others far more knowledgeable than I have commented, with optimization, the gaming laptop you listed should be fine.
Also, if used for gaming, beware some of the junk left in the Operating System by rampant poor programming techniques by game software. Check for things auto-started that aren't needed, inappropriate opened firewall ports (no real impact here/OBS most likely, but if you are cleaning up after games, I recommend doing this as well). Then unrelated to games, similar check for stuff running that don't need to be (Cloud drive sync, backup software, etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.) lots of software goes for ease of use, so pre-loads itself into RAM (and will consume CPU cycles possibly when unexpected). Make sure OS and other patching disabled during live stream... etc... all of this is basic OS clean-up/optimization (unrelated to OBS)